Primers WTF?

Redmt

I don't get it? RCBS is pushing a bundle deal on 1000 primers and a set of dies for $169.00 including freight and hazmat. The 2 reloading suppliers I use have nothing in stock. How does a die manufacturing company end up with primers and the reloading suppliers don't ?

Reactions: DFS
Well maybe it's a sign of things to come. The breakdown price is going to put the "new normal" of primer cost around $100.00 I guess the scalper prices will continue.

Have a life time supply of large rifle primer's bought years ago. Set of dies and 1000 primer's sounds expensive to me at $169! I suspect that if the price ever does come down, they will still be costing much more than in earlier times and they won't work any better!

Makes sense. They have an inside track to the product and if people can't get primers, there's no point in them buying more reloading supplies... Smart idea.

The whole primer situation is so annoying and I'm really wrestling with myself about just buying some at inflated prices. It would cause me real pain to give money to the folks selling primers for double the cost, but I'm starting to lose hope that the situation is going to get better any time soon, or that prices will come down if it does.

Also, doesn't it seem weird that large rifle primers are the hardest ones to find? It would make more sense to me that the small rifle, or pistol primers would be in short supply, but I see those all over...

Reactions: DFS
There are a lot more calibers and cartridges that need large rifle primers would be my guess. The quantity of commercially loaded ammo is astounding. I wonder what the minimum quantity of something like the 8mm Mauser ammo is in order to justify setting up and loading even one bullet weight.

Primers is a confusing one to me as well. Local sporting good store tells me they have had orders in since 2019 that have never been filled.

I had no trouble finding small rifle and small pistol primers. It just takes a little looking around and in one case a rediculous shipping charge, but they are out there to be found.

Well maybe it's a sign of things to come. The breakdown price is going to put the "new normal" of primer cost around $100.00 I guess the scalper prices will continue.

And if they were half price you’d save a whopping five cents per round.

It’s perplexing that I haven’t seen CCI large or magnum primers available in 3 years. This causes people to hoard. I know people have got some but absolutely nothing locally.

Really sad part about the whole thing is that I doubt prices will ever go down anywhere near what they used to be. problem being reloader's are getting used to being over charged and more willing to pay the present rate. Those that simply can't afford the product's will eventually simply give up reloading. Enough simply give up and that's a loss for the industry and they raise the price again to fix the loss. Seem's like a huge rat trap to me!

Shotshell primers are pretty much non existent as well. I've read that all the mfg's are using them for their own ammo. So not much left for reloaders

I don't ever expect primers to drop to the $35/1000 that we were used to 3 years ago. It is just like the price of gas, hits $4/gal and we all freak out, then it drops back to $3, all fine. Then it hits $6, then it drops back to $4, we're all fine. Primers will now stabilize at close to $100/1000 and we will be fine as long as we can get them.

Found a brick of Remington large rifle at Scheels last week. Did feel pretty good to relax a bit.

Glad you’re fine with those prices. I make it a point to let people know it’s still stupid. Especially when our .gov did all they could to promote its happening

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back