Primer on trolling for trout

Foxtrot1

Headed out to SW Colorado next month. I am hoping to make time to rent a boat and fish one of the local lakes. I'm sure the rental will just be a simple jon boat and motor. The lake is known for rainbows, browns, and brooks. I have never trolled for trout, hardly ever fished for them in ponds or lakes. If any of you guys would be willing to share your simple set-ups and gear for lakes that would be great. Thanks.

I've always had great luck with small Thomas Cyclones in gold or silver with red dots. If the lake you are going to is very high the water should still be cold and you won't need much weight, but if the temps have pushed up you will want to get the gear down. Leadcore line or 3-way rigs with weight should do the job.

Maybe call the rental place and see if they have some specifics?

A month or two ago a buddy took me and the kids out trolling for trout on Hauser Lake. We just trolled Rapalas 40-50 yards behind the boat. I don't know, maybe 10 feet deep. It worked out well. This was about an hour and half worth of fishing.

Attachments

• fishing.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 251
I do some trout trolling in mountain lakes

Two basic set ups are;

#1, An open face spinning rod, Ultra light up to Med, W/4 to 10 lb line, pulling a jointed Rapala, J-7 or J-9 in Trout colors or silver. Other popular options are small Castmasters or Panther Martins.

#2, A Med to Med/light casting rod/reel W 15 lb + line pulling a bladed trolling rig like a Lur Jensen “Cowbell” or “Dave-Davis” followed by 24” leeder of 6 to 10 lb Florocarbon and a single hook, size 4 to 6, octopus or baitholder with a nightcrawler.

If the fish are biteing good, I run my rigs 50-60 feet behind the boat, if it’s slow, I back off to 100 feet
I troll slow, 1.2 to 1.5 mph. You might have trouble getting a rented boat to go that slow, just go as slow as you can.
Follow the shoreline, far enough out to keep your lures off the bottom. Target water 15 to 25 feet deep if it’s cool to cold. If it’s hot (over 60% air temp) add some weight and run the lure or blade rig down 10 to 20 feet in water at least 30 feet deep.

Last edited:
I used to have good luck in Seminoe Res. in WY trolling an X-4 or X-5 flatfish (green with frog spots) just as slow as you can possibly go. Worked well for rainbows, browns and walleyes.

Thanks guys! I have rapalas, an assortment of spoons, and some flatfish. That makes it easy. I'll also pick up a few bladed harnesses for variety. Night crawlers seem to be a silver bullet for me when other things fail.

Depends on the lake, but I like using a Jensen Dodger ( gold or silver), and some sort of crawler harness with a silver or gold spinner. Does not pull near as hard as cowbells. Leadcore line helps get it down 10 or 15 feet depending on the lake and depth of the bite. If you have a specific lake, I might be able to recommend something different.

Right now I am looking at fishing Vallecito Reservoir 1 day. We are going to be in the Durango/Silverton area for 6-7 days. Part of the trip is going to be driving the alpine loop over to Ouray and Telluride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back