Preferred App for hunt planning

Sharp stick

If you could only choose one app to help plan a big game out west which app would be your choice and why?

I have on x to look at the public and private ground wich I love. Then I just got gohunt to look at draw odds with their filter process. I know you asked for one app but I really like the combo of these two.

For planning where I'm going to hunt, it's obviously Gohunt. Once I have a tag, it's onX and Google Earth. Gohunt's map system is too complicated for me. I think they've gotten too clever with functions I don't find that valuable.

I just got gohunt for the draw odds. I'm curious why you are anti gohunt. I don't want to waste my money if I don't need to.
Because all of the information is public use and free from each departments website. Reading their "insider" information and articles on units always makes me laugh when I look at the units I know well.

Remember everyone and their momma is looking at the same easy to understand data you are and thinking the same thing you are. I miss the days of doing it yourself without everything at your fingertips personally.
I do enjoy onx mapping though to work around private and to identify areas to explore.

Last edited:
I had an ape help me with picks once.
It flew out of my arse.

... and I never have drawn a Gila bull.....too many folks applying I guess.

Lol, I hear ya Hank. For all my years of using USGS paper maps, a compass, and a gps, I got around just fine. I’m not sold on all this digital mapping yet. Knowing exact dividing lines between private and public land would be nice though, and some of the data I have read on gohunt ( trial subscription) is interesting, just not sure on the accuracy, especially since on many zones a lot of the notes read exact or very similar to other zones. Sounds like those phony fishing reports sometimes?

I was spending hours on map & sat. image systems on my pc,linked to my GPS and had onx,chrome .
Even got a chip upgrade,phone...never used it. Same map was on my GPS with same view. My pc blew a gasket and I have not even downloaded gogglemaps or run it on the new one....but I will.

I also gave up out of state hunting so I am not the average new guy getting in,clueless. Hell,I have topo's of half the west.
It would be handy to have it all handed to you in a neat package. It just speeded up the process and saves on notepads & pencils.
It's the fortune telling and fishing report aspect that gets me. They still do not know the true odds and how many folks will apply for that unit,now that they have handed a subscriber a suppossed 80% draw, on a 40% success rate hunt.
Oh it was 40% chance on a 10% success rate, now that the state put the data out online.

My brother gave me his old laptop so now I can use the 3D mode on on x. Absolute gamechanger from using 2D mode on my cellphone.

OnX because I can use it to plan and then map in the field as well. I like google earth too though.

I like GaiaGPS because one low cost for all 50 states, easy to use for navigation,
high resolution imagery and private parcels for ownership and habitat,
many different sources of topographic maps, layers such as wildfires, cell phone coverage, etc.
I like their recent cloud free imagery to see recent changes on the landscape such as flooding, wildfires, etc.
Easy to trace user routes, waypoints, and a wide variety of marker symbols.
I use a laptop to plan and a phone in the field and they sync automatically.

I have OnX but I prefer GaiGPS, even in Montana.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back