Yeti GOBOX Collection

Preferred 300WM round

Griggs

So I’ve done a search, and if someone else finds a thread about this that I couldn’t find I would love the redirection...

We all have our own preferences, but I was curious what everyone’s preferred 300WM round is for elk.

Worked up your own load? Preferred COTS round? Etc.

I’ve mainly been using my 300WM for longer range steel, but I will likely be cycling out my old .308 for elk this year. And it got me looking at rounds to test out and get some DOPE on, which had me wondering what others on here preferred. E685B377-0862-46F3-A39E-18661685BAC5.jpeg
ETA: I just realized this should have gone under “ammunition” and not “firearms”

Last edited:
I shoot the Federal Premium 180g Nosler Accu-bonds. My gun shoots them great and have had great success with the bullet.

So I’ve done a search, and if someone else finds a thread about this that I couldn’t find I would love the redirection...

We all have our own preferences, but I was curious what everyone’s preferred 300WM round is for elk.

Worked up your own load? Preferred COTS round? Etc.

I’ve mainly been using my 300WM for longer range steel, but I will likely be cycling out my old .308 for elk this year. And it got me looking at rounds to test out and get some DOPE on, which had me wondering what others on here preferred. View attachment 130816

What's your twist and is your magazine oversized?

lots of great options these days. My 300wm really likes the 200gr eld-x, shoots extremely well at longer ranges but i'm not convinced of the bullet performance on game. Accubond, trophy bonded, partition, Scirocco, etip, ttsx, hammers, etc will all do a great job. Just a matter of finding what your gun likes.

Never hunted with a 300 mag and never owned one. Have shot one a little. My thought on the 300 win mag is different than a lot of people that shoot and hunt with them. Seems to me the overwhelming favorite bullet weight is 180gr. I've always felt the best bullet would be the 200gr. I like the 180gr in the 30-06 act's really well. But the 300 mag should be able to handle the 200gr bullet really well. A tuffer bullet and bit more velocity than with the 30-06 but not so much to destroy the bullet. Well at least that my though and not a thing to back it up!

180g Accubond with 75.0g of RL-22. I know every gun/barrel is different, but had a gunsmith say this load had worked in every 300WM he ever tried it in, and the load worked great right out of the gate in 2 of mine as well

My Browning HC 300 WM ELD X 220gr. Shoots better than any round I have found. Gun does not like 180 gr Hornady. My elk was down with one round in less than a second.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back