Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Predator Calling Black Bears

JLDemo

This will be my first year hunting black bear here in Wyoming, I'll be using mouth calls and have a variety that I use for yotes, but I have a few questions for those who've called bear before. What calling sequence seems to work best? I'll try both steady and short sequences to see for myself for trial and error, just wondering if anyone has had any experience on which one works best to keep a bears interest. Do you use scents or any kind of attractants? I've got a pretty good idea on where the bears are and curious as to what you've had more success with, calling blind in sets or spotting and then calling? I know it's legal to bait in Wyo, I just don't know enough people here willing to make the monetary commitment to start and keep a bait sight up and running. If I've read the regs correct, I'll also buy a cat tag and hope for something to come in. Any advice from experience would be appreciated! Thanks. Jason

My understanding is that bears lose interest quickly if you stop calling. So best tactic is to find an area with lots of bear sign and start calling in the afternoon or evening when they're active and to call pretty much continually for 30 min stretch or an hour taking only brief breaks. I would like to try calling bears myself.

Jason,
I actually called in one bear while in New Mexico. He came in fine, but I moved too soon. Blew that one!

I went to a seminar one time years ago, that was put on by a guy with the Meza Varmint Callers in Arizona. He had called over 65 bears at that time and was a wealth of knowledge. He said that you have got to call for at least an hour at a location. He said that a bear stops and sits down, usually, if the calling stops. If you take a break, then add that time onto the stand time. A standard predator call is fine, but I think making it sound like a fawn is the best option.

Make sure that you position yourself in a spot where they cannot sneak up from behind you-especially a cat! That is the single biggest problem with using a hand call-they are coming directly on you. The guy in Az said that his biggest problem was that he kept getting attacked by grey fox. They get real aggressive in some areas, I guess.

I've had success calling, but usually use it after seeing the bear and not being able to relocate it after a long stalk. In all but one case, the bear came in hot, all puffed up ready for action. Spring has been much more successful than fall for me. I blew regular sequences, really loud with a regular rabbit distress call. I think it is just coincidence, but I have never called one in with my electronic call, all have been mouth calls!

Make sure your not in an area that has Grizzly's, you might call in the wrong bear.

This...I did some calling last year not far from where a guy got chewed on by a Griz and that was probably not smart. I ended up capturing the attention of a VERY grumpy cow moose with a fresh calf so I vacated the area real fast.

Make sure your not in an area that has Grizzly's, you might call in the wrong bear.

That would make for a terrible day, but there are no grizz where I'll be.

I've got to do some checking to see if there are any rules or regs against electronic calling trophy game, but if there isn't I think i'm going to do that route and possibly tinker with the volume and length of stands. Sid, I'll be sure to download a fawn distress and in regards to protection, I just need someone that I can outrun right?! As a matter of fact, you wanna tag along? Ha!

That would make for a terrible day, but there are no grizz where I'll be.

I've got to do some checking to see if there are any rules or regs against electronic calling trophy game, but if there isn't I think i'm going to do that route and possibly tinker with the volume and length of stands. Sid, I'll be sure to download a fawn distress and in regards to protection, I just need someone that I can outrun right?! As a matter of fact, you wanna tag along? Ha!

LOL. That's only if your foot is healed!:p I run pretty fast for an old bastard. That trip would be tempting, but I am afraid that I may be tapped out. I have a Texas Axis trip in April, which will make the third trip this year. Tax time did not do me any good, either. Keep me posted, though, as I may be able to go for a couple days just to be the bait!:hump:

The best success I have ever had is in the spring around when the fawns and calfs are dropped with a fawn in distress call. And as stated before if you stop call they stop so call continuously and 45min is the minimum. For that reason I like electronic calls because it can make a long day with the mouth calls but when it works it is a blast! Have fun and let us know how it works out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back