PRC Cartridges?

archerynut21

I’ve been itching for a PRC cartridge for a few years now. Just wondering everyone’s take on them? Starting to see ammo for them again. I’ve used my buddies 300 PRC on targets out to 1042 yards and it is fun. He’s big into elk and it hammers them. But I’m also interested in the 6.5 PRC. I know it will get the job done on an elk, and I am primarily a mule deer Hunter anyways. It seems like a good round for me. Or should I wait for the 7mm PRC to come out? I’ve always liked 7mm’s and it seems to be the best of both worlds if the velocity/bullet weight specs line up with what the SAAMI specs say. So many choices!

Personally, I'd wait for the 7PRC. I'm out on the East coast and the 6.5 & 300 PRC rifles are plentiful, but the ammunition for either is very elusive, just like the the Weatherby ammo. From what I've been able to find on the web and read, I think the 7PRC is going to be a great round, whether for hunting or long range competition.

Brass availabiliy might be a limiting factor. If ADG or Perterson starts making brass, and I assume they probably will, and if I can get a couple hundred pieces, I’ll probably build a 7PRC. These days I like to secure brass and bullets before putting together or buying a rifle in a specific cartridge.

Last edited:
7mm PRC? I would say I wish I would have waited, but now I have a 6.5 PRC. I intend on a 300 PRC, and should have stockpiled so ammo when I had the chance a few months ago. I bought a few hundred rounds of 6.5 PRC before I even got the gun, just to make sure I could shoot it. I just found more in stock this morning an may be ordering some more...

OP - I LOVE my 6.5 PRC. I got it in a Bergara Premier Approach. This thing is stupid accurate with factory Hornady ammo. I came from the factory shooting .4s. I don't know how to properly measure groups, but I fired 3 rounds at 100 yards two weeks ago, and they were all on top of each other.

My brother has a Bergara in 6.5 prc and loves it. He’s only had it about a year though. I’m going to wait a few years to see what sticks, but I think the 7 is medicine I would dose. I don’t have anything in that caliber currently. 😉

If your thinking on the 7mm PRC, i'd wait a little while.
The freebore is designed for a 180gr Berger. AKA if your planning on shooting lighter, it'll have a long freebore.
Or you could custom order a reamer.

I bought a 300 prc for my special draw elk permit. Iv only shot it at the range but it is one of my nicest shooting rifles. My niece also loves it she shoots it out to 650 yards no problem

Personally, I'd wait for the 7PRC. I'm out on the East coast and the 6.5 & 300 PRC rifles are plentiful, but the ammunition for either is very elusive, just like the the Weatherby ammo. From what I've been able to find on the web and read, I think the 7PRC is going to be a great round, whether for hunting or long range competition.
If you have trouble finding 6.5PRC ammo, availability for a cartridge that is not yet mass produced is going to be a shocker. 6.5PRC came out in 2018 and ammo is just now showing up online (but not really in stores regularly)...

I predict 2027 before widespread availability of 7PRC.

I've found some PRC brass at the range and I like the looks of them. If these were available 50 years ago when I started hunting I would probably have one or more rifles chambered in PRC cartridges. But in those 50 years, I've accumulated a pretty good battery of rifles from .223 to .375 RUM that have provided me with many fantastic hunting results that I can't say would have been any better with a PRC cartridges.

If your thinking on the 7mm PRC, i'd wait a little while.
The freebore is designed for a 180gr Berger. AKA if your planning on shooting lighter, it'll have a long freebore.
Or you could custom order a reamer.
So Hornady designed a cartridge around a Berger bullet???? My uneducated guess is they designed around one of their own bullets like the A-tip or heavy ELD choices. If you want to shoot lightweight 7mm bullets I think there are already ample options.

I hope the 7 prc is a success with components and support from other manufacturers. Sweet spot in volume as far as I'm concerned. Towards my upper end, but manageable. Chamber designed around high bc bullets, no rim, no a.i.'ing. I like.

So Hornady designed a cartridge around a Berger bullet???? My uneducated guess is they designed around one of their own bullets like the A-tip or heavy ELD choices. If you want to shoot lightweight 7mm bullets I think there are already ample options.

I hope the 7 prc is a success with components and support from other manufacturers. Sweet spot in volume as far as I'm concerned. Towards my upper end, but manageable. Chamber designed around high bc bullets, no rim, no a.i.'ing. I like.
I wasn't aware that Hornady made a 180gr bullet.
Heck, even Nosler's heaviest bullet is 175gr.

Hence either Berger, or Sierra.

i feel like they missed an opportunity to create a short action 7mm and call it a PRC. Something like 7 SAUM or 7 SS with Hornady behind it would be nice.

I've been shooting a 6.5 prc. It's amazing and recoil is super light which allows me to shoot much better. Enough but not too much, balance fits my needs.

if it was me l would go with the 300prc. l am acctually looking at building one at some point here.

I’m pretty excited about the 7mm PRC as well. Would like to get a 7mm of some kind to accompany my 30-06 and the PRC looks like it will be a great balance between power, recoil and flat shooting. Here’s a video of someone who custom built a 7mm PRC based on the SAAMI specs:

I just bought 180 rds of 300 PRC ammo. So in my mind, I am committed to buying a rifle in 300 PRC. Then maybe when I am done with that, the 7mm PRC will be an option.....

I need a less expensive hobby!!!!

I just bought 180 rds of 300 PRC ammo. So in my mind, I am committed to buying a rifle in 300 PRC. Then maybe when I am done with that, the 7mm PRC will be an option.....

I need a less expensive hobby!!!!

Am I inferring that you don’t own a 300 PRC? Interesting strategy.

Are you loading up on electricity in preparation for a Ford Lightning?

I think I’m going to look at the 7 eventually.

Back