Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

PRC Cartridges?

I shot a 220lb mule deer at 100yards quartering away with a 6.5 prc, it just about blew the opposite shoulder off.

I'm big on 6.5's and 7mm's both. Don't have a 7mm anymore but have 2 6.5's. Were it me I could go for one of each just because. Actually overall I think the 7mm might have an advantage over the 6.5 for no other reason than heavier bullet's! That of course that is coming from a guy that hasn't shot a CF factory round of ammo in a lot of years.

Then if your not a reloader, why waste your time on any cartridge you might have trouble finding, especially, in a bullet weight you might want? If it were me, I'd take a better look at something like the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 7mm-08, haven'tshot either but have used the bullet's in 7x57 and 6.5x55. It to me is the bullet's that make the cartridge! Not the ability of the cartridge to maybe get out more velocity with the bullet than the bullet can handle. Of course if you reload, that is all pretty mute point! Different bullet's might be hard to come by but it seem's everyone usually finds what they want sooner of later and simply buy more than they need! You likely won't save any money reloading buy it really opens up the door for shooting what you want! Finding 6.5 PRC ammo loaded with 140 grain bullet's of one type or another might be a challange but finding 6.5 bullet's while tuff right now is gonna be easier. If you buy loaded ammo through the mail I believe there is a hazmat fee, not so for just the bullet!

I somehow suspect cartridge's are developed with handloader's in mind. Reason being a handloader that really wants a certain round can come up with all the component's as necessay usually. Guy buying factory doesn't have that advantage so in my opinion should either take up reloading of stick to cartridge's already factory standard's! Going with the new cartridge's isn't gonna change the effectiveness of the cartridge much. Without splitting hairs, what will the 300 Win Mag accomplish that the 308 can't? Not a lot!

Am I inferring that you don’t own a 300 PRC? Interesting strategy.

Are you loading up on electricity in preparation for a Ford Lightning?

I think I’m going to look at the 7 eventually.
Amazing! All the really good cartridges out here today and there's still guy's hunting very successfully with bow's and black powder! :)

I would want the 7prc over the other siblings but I'm biased as I shoot a 7mm dakota. I'm thinking the 180 grn berger hunting vld will make this cartridge shine and I would try retumbo or H1000.

Am I inferring that you don’t own a 300 PRC? Interesting strategy.

Are you loading up on electricity in preparation for a Ford Lightning?

I think I’m going to look at the 7 eventually.
Yes. I do not currently own one, but I am in the process of picking one out. While I have not been checking religiously, that ammo has been pretty darn hard to find at non-gunbroker prices. So when I found some in stock I bought it. Now I know that when I pick out a rifle, I can shoot it. Did the same thing with my 6.5 PRC. I bought 400 rounds of ammo before I bought the rifle.

I also bought the scope before the rifle, since Leupold hardly had anything in stock. So I grabbed what I wanted when I could. I suppose that was dumb too??

Yes. I do not currently own one, but I am in the process of picking one out. While I have not been checking religiously, that ammo has been pretty darn hard to find at non-gunbroker prices. So when I found some in stock I bought it. Now I know that when I pick out a rifle, I can shoot it. Did the same thing with my 6.5 PRC. I bought 400 rounds of ammo before I bought the rifle.

I also bought the scope before the rifle, since Leupold hardly had anything in stock. So I grabbed what I wanted when I could. I suppose that was dumb too??
In this market absolutely buy the ammo first, you can find guns easily the ammo not so much. It’s a solid approach.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag, .308 and .264 Win Mag but I wouldn't mind having 6.5 prc just for the simple fact that's its not as harsh recoil as my 7 mag would be. The 7 PRC would be nice but if I was loaded and could buy whatever rifle, I'd probably have one for everyday of the week lol.

I have been on a waiting list for a marlin 45/70 at a non gunbroker price for awhile. I have since picked up 5 boxes of ammo while I'm on hold. Can always sell ammo if the gun doesn't work out.

Back