Practice Shooting

SagebrushSlayer

What does everyone do for practice for the upcoming season?

I like shooting the .22 for trigger control and focus, then getting out and shooting my rifle usually out to 300 yards or so, depending on location. I like having my family practicing offhand shots at 100yds on a milk jug filled with water and food coloring.

Shooting positions are usually standing at 100, sitting at 200-300, and prone at 250+.

How many people just benchrest practice or don't practice at all? I know numerous people that tell me they don't want to waste their hunting ammo and will wait till a week or two to check the zero on the rifle at 100 yds

I shoot my bow, muzzleloader and rifles year round. Not just for the upcoming season but because I love to squeeze triggers. Pretty much the same here as far as distances and positions. I haven't shot off a bench in years, all my load work ups are done prone as well. I practice out to 1k for the challenge and a winter hobby but hunting at long distance does nothing for me. Give me a bull inside 30yds blowing snot anyday.

I hear ya on people making a box of ammo last years and years. A few shots from camp or practicing with fieldpoints and never checking broadhead poi. Scary.

I enjoy all kinds of shooting as well. I really like any live target that is legal like jackrabbits #1 gophers, cats, and predators are all great targets. I think lots of the people I look up to are very good at engaging anything they intend to kill. The reason I like jack rabbits is they have big game speed with small game agility and that appeals to me the most. If you can hit a jack at ~100 yards on a run you will be ready for any situation within 300 yards on big game.

I don't shoot off a bench at all anymore. Even to zero. I shoot from the prone off a bi-pod with the same rear rest I carry while hunting. Most of my practice is from the prone, with some practice from sitting, offhand and offhand supported. To me, zeroing is about making sure that the rifle still groups the same size in the same place it did the year before. Marksmanship isn't shooting tiny ragged holes every trip to the range (not saying that accuracy isn't important, just that there is more to shooting than accuracy). Marksmanship is simply Can you Hit what you are shooting at; First time, every time!

I try and practice 2 things every year. I try to push myself on how far I can shoot accurately in practice, and I try to push myself on how small a target I can shoot at closer ranges. If you can comfortably shoot a Deer Vitals sized target at 600yds, it makes 400 much easier. Similarly if you can shoot a golf ball at 100yds, a tennis ball at 200yds, well... you get the point. If you shoot with a buddy, use friendly competition to drive results. Put the cap from a gallon milk jug on a cardboard backer at 200yds and see who can put their first shot closest. Use what you have on hand, there are lots of potential targets floating around the house...

I also try to get out in the woods at least once or twice a summer and do some stump hunting. Take your rifle for a walk and take some shots out in the field. Learn to read the wind in the field, and how wind reacts to different terrain features. Pick small targets and push yourself to make difficult shots. It's fun to challenge yourself, and it will make you a better shooter.

Back