Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

POW Transporters?

B

BuglinDrew

I am currently planning my first trip to Alaska for blacktail on Prince of Wales island in August 2022. We are looking to rent and hunt out of a forest service cabin, and I am looking for a transporter (preferably out of Ketchikan) to transport ourselves and our gear to one of the forest service cabins on POW. My buddy has talked to a few that operate fishing charters, and I am probably going to inquire with Experience One fishing charters out of Ketchikan.

I think we would like to go with boat transportation so we don't have to deal with the stricter weight limits of flying in. Can anyone recommend a reputable transporter out of Ketchikan? Also, I'm guessing transporters aren't in quite as high of demand as some of the transporters that fly out for moose, caribou, etc., what kind of time frame should I be looking at booking in this area to ensure a spot?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Some of the forest service cabins are accessible via the road system and some aren't. Some are accessible by boat and some aren't. Some are only accessible by plane.

That is one heck of a boat ride from Ketchikan, I think it is 3 hours to Hollis on the ferry. I would think that is going to set you back some coin. Would be a miserable day in a smaller boat as well if the weather was rough.

Thoughts...take ferry from Ketchikan to POW then rent truck and/or boat for the week then take ferry back to Ketchikan

We've looked into this and haven't ruled it out. The cabin we are interested in hunting out of isn't accessible by road and would be a very long a possibly sketchy ride on a skiff from Hollis. Sounds like it may only be accessible by float plane if we are sold on this particular cabin.

Drew - I can 100% recommend Coffman Cove Adventures. Mike and Sarah Warner are the operators. My wife and I hunted with them in 2011. They are setup for self-guided hunters only and have great cabins, amazing food, and a solid 4x4 surburban they provided for our hunt - everything else was up to us. We overnighted in Ketchikan, flew Taquan Air to Coffman Cove where Mike picked us up.

The cost was absolutely inline with the value provided and, honestly, not much above what bare rental costs will be. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back