POW Gear list

The inflatable life preservers are great, but I don't believe the cartridges are legal as checked baggage - better check. I don't know if there is an outlet for them in Ketchikan. Wader boots - do NOT get boots with felt soles (you'll spend a lot of stalking time on your ass and they are not legal in AK); wader boots with air bob soles are much better for travel over wet grass.

wow that looks much more complete than the item I was thinking more of the solo hunter rifle cover...https://solohntr.com/product-category/gear/rifle-covers/ but I like the idea of putting the rifle away completely. Anyone use one that wllm is planning to use?

I've done some hiking in muck boot style boots but had a lot of wiggle room which cause some hotspots.

I have a solo cover as well but I wanted a soft case I could put on the float plane + I'm a moron and I wanted my rifle to float if I got reckless swing around crab pots.

I have a solo cover as well but I wanted a soft case I could put on the float plane + I'm a moron and I wanted my rifle to float if I got reckless swing around crab pots.

Those things are sweet. I would get it in yellow, make it easier to see in the water.

I tried putting my rifle in my camo floating shotgun case to take up there, but it wouldn't fit, so I went with the cover.

Weather can be something up there. My last trip was sunshine all week awesome weather. My first trip was rain for hours with temps in low 40s. Probably the most miserable hunting weather I've ever experienced in my life. You have never been cold until you have been rained on for 12hrs and the temp is almost to the point of snow and your an 6-8 mile run up the ocean in nasty waves back to the dock. We seriously had to take turns running the boat while the other guy ducked in the bow to get out of the wind a minute or two on our first trip. LOL We were pushing it a little too far honestly. It's one of the coolest places I've ever been. Also watch the eagles they will mess a bear up quickly after he is down if you have to leave him to fetch help. My buddy found that out the hard way.

Grant, these are the wader pants I'll be taking: https://www.froggtoggs.com/froggtoggs-pilot-ii-guide-waders-7554/

Combined with good wader boots they're quite comfortable for all day hiking around. I wore them for work and play along Coastal AK. I was skeptical of their durability when I first bought them but never had a leak.

Thanks Jeff, I was looking at those the other day. I'll have to take a look at wading boots. The ones I have are clunky at best (think $25 Cabelas special) and definitely won't travel well.

Plenty of locals hunt in ExtraTuff boots. They also make them with 'Cork' soles. It all depends on how tough your ankles are.

Don't forget a very good headlamp.

And a dry bag for your gear and one for your gun is a very good idea when hunting from a skiff.

I personally do not like chest high waders for hunting. They are just to hot when you get out in the woods and hike around some. Hip boots are the most common used boots for hunting the beaches and rivers.

Last edited:
Are you planning on doing any fishing, if so what are gear are you bringing? Would love to hear others experience on this as well.

I’m new on here but have lived in SE AK for 18 years. I often run a light Goretext, like paclite, and a heavy non-breathable commercial fishing style jacket, like Grudens or HH. I keep the light layer on almost all the time on as a windbreak, bug layer, light rain layer. But, if I am going to be running in an open skiff in heavy rain or pushing through wet brush, the PVC stuff is the ticket.

I agree waders can be a good option for hunting. I use a pair that maybe I have already worn a few holes in. I wouldn’t wear my good winter steelhead pair. Extra toughs have great traction in boats and are good for the general soggy environment but need a boot dryer for sure.

I like the newer blue Atlas commercial fish gloves. You can size up and wear then with merino glove liners. Hope that helps. Spring is coming.

I’m new on here but have lived in SE AK for 18 years. I often run a light Goretext, like paclite, and a heavy non-breathable commercial fishing style jacket, like Grudens or HH. I keep the light layer on almost all the time on as a windbreak, bug layer, light rain layer. But, if I am going to be running in an open skiff in heavy rain or pushing through wet brush, the PVC stuff is the ticket.

I agree waders can be a good option for hunting. I use a pair that maybe I have already worn a few holes in. I wouldn’t wear my good winter steelhead pair. Extra toughs have great traction in boats and are good for the general soggy environment but need a boot dryer for sure.

I like the newer blue Atlas commercial fish gloves. You can size up and wear then with merino glove liners. Hope that helps. Spring is coming.

Do I need to toss in head nets for bugs in May?

How have you guys frozen your meat for the transport back home? Is there a processor around that will rent freezer space? Google searches coming up blank.

How have you guys frozen your meat for the transport back home? Is there a processor around that will rent freezer space? Google searches coming up blank.

I ran into the same problem, seem like there are options in Craig but nothing in Ketchikan. Plan A, is maybe our outfitter will let me toss some in his freezer. Plan B is to buy a bunch of dry ice at walmart and freeze it with that the day before, then check it with AK airlines for cold chain transport.

Reactions: LCH
I ran into the same problem, seem like there are options in Craig but nothing in Ketchikan. Plan A, is maybe our outfitter will let me toss some in his freezer. Plan B is to buy a bunch of dry ice at walmart and freeze it with that the day before, then check it with AK airlines for cold chain transport.

Yeah, I'm living out of the rented suburban while I'm there. I just hate to depend on dry ice, as I've been other places during hunting season and everybody's been sold out.

If you get one a day or 2 before flying home, I'm sure it would be fine chilled. But on a 10-ish day hunt, I want it frozen if I kill early.

Agreed, dry ice will freeze a cooler of meat + hide solid over night... but it's not going to stay that way for long.

Reactions: LCH
Walmart in Ketchikan does not sell Dry Ice ... Safeway has some during summer months sometimes. All motels in Ketchikan usually have freezer space available if your overnighting in town before your departure.

You can get 50lb sack of fine salt at Phillips fish plant in Craig or in Ketchikan on your way out.

There is not any public freezer storage space on the Island. You can possibly check with one of the fishing lodges or B&B type places for some space. You can also ask the Sealing Agent about it when you get your Bear sealed.

My last trip we stayed at https://sites.google.com/site/aplacetostayinak/home

It was pretty nice compared to a forest service cabin and was around $100 a night.

Each cabin has chest freezers on the porch.

Even if you weren't staying there they are nice enough that you could probably call them and ask if you could rent one of their freezers for a few days.

Pretty centrally located if you are hunting off the road system.

Back