portland Oregon area vacation options?

Atlas Pies is great as well! Randy just drew a short straw - Portland is truly the best town for pizza in the nation. The sourdough crust is fabulous.
Yes good but I think Flying loads their pizza more than anyone. 1 slice is meal. unless you drink a beer than you can try and get two down.

Curious…out of all of the places to vacation why you’d choose Portland?

Already a bunch of great advice about the coast, so I’ll leave that one alone.

Book reservations for dinner at Ox for a night you’re actually in Portland. It’s a special occasion type place and superb.

A hike in the gorge would be great, but I’d skip Multnomah Falls unless you really want to see it. There are some really nice hikes on the Washington side of the river with far fewer people. I like Hamilton Mountain.

The caddis and PMDs will be in full swing on the lower Deschutes while you’re here. Too early for steelhead though.

I don’t drink so can’t help with the winery stuff, but I’m happy to give a list of PDX food spots. After almost 15 years in Portland we’re moving to central Oregon at the end of this month (close to Sisters). If you head out that way feel free to reach out and I’ll buy you a burrito or maybe sneak away from unpacking and setting up the new house to do a little fishing.

My wife literally just got back from five days in Portland. She was there for a conference. She now has Portland Traumatic Stress Disorder. She saw a corpse on the sidewalk, shit on sidewalks, needles on sidewalks, tents on sidewalks. A city in denial. A city that once literally smelled like flowers in the spring smells like shit now. The coast is nice

That's the time I would be interested in visiting, when do they arrive, it's a bucket list item for me.
Thanks
Richard
There will be a few steelhead in the river in mid July, when @Khunter will be here, but those early fish tend to blast upstream quickly. The run usually starts in earnest about the last week of July, but the key is to watch the fish numbers coming over the Bonneville and The Dalles dams and plan your trip accordingly. Those July fish are my favorite because they tend to be really chromey and really hot. Had one fish that couldn’t have been more than five pounds nearly spool me once.

However you should know that the runs in recent years are only a shadow of what they were even just 10 years ago. Hopefully we get a better return this year, but it’s not looking great.

My wife literally just got back from five days in Portland. She was there for a conference. She now has Portland Traumatic Stress Disorder. She saw a corpse on the sidewalk, shit on sidewalks, needles on sidewalks, tents on sidewalks. A city in denial. A city that once literally smelled like flowers in the spring smells like shit now. The coast is nice
Portland is a good airport to fly in to for touring the area. Portland is not the ‘destination’. Airfire for two, all in $420 from Denver and a desire to check out that part of the country and be on and near the coast.

Last edited:
She saw a corpse on the sidewalk,
I try to assume they’re taking a deep drug assisted nap. Hard to tell sometimes unfortunately. Portland should start soon clearing sidewalks since they got sued in federal court for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (in part by letting sidewalks be blocked off so blind and wheelchair bound persons can’t pass). I think they also recently passed an ordinance banning more public camping.

But back to OP, don’t worry about downtown, as everyone else has said there’s a lot of other great stuff to do and eat. Have a great trip

I try to assume they’re taking a deep drug assisted nap. Hard to tell sometimes unfortunately. Portland should start soon clearing sidewalks since they got sued in federal court for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (in part by letting sidewalks be blocked off so blind and wheelchair bound persons can’t pass). I think they also recently passed an ordinance banning more public camping.

But back to OP, don’t worry about downtown, as everyone else has said there’s a lot of other great stuff to do and eat. Have a great trip
Unfortunately for the individual the wagon and body bag were there. He was on the median of one of the streets. Sad

She must have caught it on a good week. ;)

I would definitely head to the coast and/or Central Oregon and not even bother with Portland. Multnomah Falls is so crowded you'll be lucky to get parking even with a permit.

Some very good suggestions already that will make your trip truly memorable. Oregon is a very beautiful state.

Go to the Oregon coast. Anywhere a great drive down the coast with great food and lodging ( Cannon Beach etc)
Multnomah falls. Great hiking
Great wineries and places to stay in Dundee-MicMinnville. Plus if you like cheese go the Tillamook factory your there. Also the air museum in McMinnville.
If you like beer go to McMenamins. they even have a few hotels
Lots of fishing at coast and fresh fish. Best clam chowder in the west

The greatest on earth ( yes better Beau Jo's) is Flying Pie. Its in Milwaukie. There is not better pizza anywhere. YES ANYWHERE
Booked Mcmenamins in McMinnvilee forst 2 nights. Cool looking old hotel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back