Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Portable Jump Starters

+1 on the noco’s we have a couple on the farm and have been amazed what we can start with them, mine also have a couple of 12 volt outlets to charge devices with.

Ditto on the NOCO Boost XL. My niece bought them for her whole family for Christmas last year. They all love them. The size would be what you are looking for. One is on my to buy list also.

This guy brought me alive from a 2-battery dead situation. I own a 2016 F350DRW. Came out one morning and it was dead. Not even a click. Connected this up and it got me started first time.

Bolt Power G33A 12V Car Jump Starter 1500A Peak Battery Booster for Gasoline 8L, Diesel Engines up to 6.5L, Dual USB Ports and Type-C Portable Power Pack, Built-in LED Flashlight

Two new batteries later I was good to go. This stays in my toolbox in the trunk. Your thread just reminded me to go out and bring it in to make sure it's fully charged.

Ditto on the NOCO Boost XL. My niece bought them for her whole family for Christmas last year. They all love them. The size would be what you are looking for. One is on my to buy list also.
I picked up the NOCO GB70 last night for $116 for Prime Day. Good piece of mind.

A couple weeks ago I was at Slippery Ann editing pics and charging my laptop when I killed my pickup battery. I got the cables out and someone pulled up right away and gave me a jump. Guy mentioned it sucked that happened, I told him this is about as lucky as I could get being around other vehicles when it happened. Most of the time on the weekends I am a couple mile walk from the closest vehicle.

I’ve got jumper cables and a “checklist” to make sure all my lights are off before I head out of the truck. Haven’t splurged yet; I get my battery tested frequently too.

There’s a good video on YouTube by “Project Farm” that does a great head-to-head test.

I bought an antigravity micro start. Will fire up my diesel without a problem. $200 bucks on Amazon. When trying to convince my boss we needed a couple for work I started an older 5.4 Ford F-250 with no battery 13 times before it wouldn’t do it again. Takes up as much room as a 90s era bag phone.

Last edited:
I carry a Nocoboost 150.. they're really expensive at $300 but it'll save your butt. I frequently use it to run a small air compressor and other 12V accessories. A cheaper one is probably fine but I do a lot of overlanding and there's always somebody who's battery runs flat and like everything else in life.. you get what you pay for.

Resurrecting this old thread w a new element. I need a jump box and a 12 volt air compressor. In reading reviews of combos, it seems the compressor often fails first. Is a separate compressor and jump box better, because stand-alone compressors are more robust? Also interested in recommendations for whether I need 120 volt ac capability on the jump box. Thanks in advance.

I'll update my previous contribution.
My stanley will no longer jump start. From lawn mowers to cars, it just no longer works.
The air compressor still works fine.

It has become a glorified phone charger with the ability to air up tires

I had a combo unit for a while and still use it in a work truck but the compressor is not great.

went with a jump box and compressor in the truck now and I’m very happy with them.

I run a separate compressor.

I can't imagine needing 120 volt ac capability on a jump box, seems like anything you wanted to use on 120 volt ac would drain it down pretty quickly. If you had a specific piece of equipment that you felt you would use that wasn't a big drain you might want it.

Resurrecting this old thread w a new element. I need a jump box and a 12 volt air compressor. In reading reviews of combos, it seems the compressor often fails first. Is a separate compressor and jump box better, because stand-alone compressors are more robust? Also interested in recommendations for whether I need 120 volt ac capability on the jump box. Thanks in advance.
From experience with other equipment that have multiple uses they typically do each thing so so. For a 12v air compressor I highly recommend viair compressors. Some guys mount them under the hood and wire them straight to the battery or you can clip it to the battery. Either way they are a nice step up from the cheap ones that plug into the 12v adapter in the cab. I have an 88p that has been handy multiple times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back