Portable Jump Starters

Brandon270

Anyone keep one in your truck for emergencies? I've looked into the cheaper ones in the past but they are kinda bulky for my single cab. The newer lithium ones look promising to me even though they are pricier. I've specifically looked at the Noco brand jump starters but not sure what the best size would be. I know it's usually better to go bigger than you might need, especially if you use it to charge electronics.

Just wondering what others use and what size works best for general use.

I have a stanley from Sam's that was gifted to me.
Has jumper cables, air compressor, USB charging and a led light.
It's okay for the money.
My dad is a mechanic and has had several higher end options over the years.
IMO ponying up the money ($200+) will get you a jump box worth having

I have the Stanely Fatmax 1000 from Sam's and have been happy with it so far. It sat in my dad's truck for over a week least year on the way up and throughout our Idaho truck including some cold weather. When his battery died on the morning on our last day we used the pack to jump it no problem. I used it a bunch when I needed a new battery for my F250 and was just being too lazy to go get one lol. It jumped the F250 without any significant hesitation probably 6 - 10 times.

I have a Gooloo and it's been great. We ran a side by side off of it for 15 miles to get it back to camp after the regular battery wouldn't hold a charge

I have the Stanely Fatmax 1000 from Sam's and have been happy with it so far. It sat in my dad's truck for over a week least year on the way up and throughout our Idaho truck including some cold weather. When his battery died on the morning on our last day we used the pack to jump it no problem. I used it a bunch when I needed a new battery for my F250 and was just being too lazy to go get one lol. It jumped the F250 without any significant hesitation probably 6 - 10 times.
This is what I have. It jumps vehicles fine, but for whatever reason doesn't work on my mower

I got one as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Amazing how small they have become, mine is only a little bit bigger than a cell phone. I'm not sure what brand it is. I've used it a few times when my battery was going bad, worked like a charm. I keep it in the trunk all the time. I take it out once or twice a year to keep it charged. Mine will jump a car multiple times before needing charged again.

bot a used one at an auction. works fine. Jumped the neighbors truck. Bulky. Cheap insurance when I head out next week. ymmv

We carried at work the Jump-n-carry blue which is the 660 for years and although a little bulkier and heavy they work great. I even strapped one under a car hood hooked up once to get a vehicle with dead alternator to the next exit. You can jump car to large trucks with them. We recently started getting the smaller lithium ones which for cars work great and are supper convienent to just have under your front seat but they struggle with a larger truck unless new or fully charged. I carry the Jump-n-carry yellow one which also has the small compressor built into it in my truck. I have it strapped to a milk crate which holds my chains, recovery straps, wood saw and the like. IMO only needs to coem in handy once and its worth it when your in the middle of woods or long walk to cell service.

I carried them in my plow truck when I plowed commercial lots. Very handy and saved a lot of time. I was able to jump a 3/4 ton with plow multiple times on a charge.

I have this one. Use it at the shop where I work a lot and carry it on road trips. Seems to work well.

Attachments

• 833F68D4-D346-49DC-BF73-CDD2FC3445F2.png
    833F68D4-D346-49DC-BF73-CDD2FC3445F2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Have 3 of them, and have used them often, lawnmowers, ATVs, vehicles, no problem. Keep one in each vehiclem they bundle is about the size of a paperback book. I bought them all at Costco, I think they were $60. Just need to make sure they are charged, they do lose charge over time. They are a lifesaver when in the middle of BFE, or when your battery dies in the winter. I can get 2 jumps off a single charge.

I used to have one of the big bulky ones like the one geetar posted, it worked ok, but the battery eventually went dead.

Have 3 of them, and have used them often, lawnmowers, ATVs, vehicles, no problem. Keep one in each vehiclem they bundle is about the size of a paperback book. I bought them all at Costco, I think they were $60. Just need to make sure they are charged, they do lose charge over time. They are a lifesaver when in the middle of BFE, or when your battery dies in the winter. I can get 2 jumps off a single charge.

I used to have one of the big bulky ones like the one geetar posted, it worked ok, but the battery eventually went dead.
For me space is limited with my small cab and the tools I already carry behind the seats. A compact reliable jumper is definitely the ticket for me.

I have used a couple different types. They are a life saver and worth every penny. I like the larger ones. They are a bit bulky but I have used it to jump equipment in the field that a truck could not get to. I also take it on any trips where I will be away from other people. It has saved the day more than once. I have the Stanley 1000 as well. The added feature of the pump is nice to have.

Back