Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Portable Backstop for Rifles

teej89

Anyone have any old ideas/suggestions for a backstop that I can move around? I live on a 100 acre horse farm and we do have some neighbors but from where I can shoot out to 300 and 400 yards I do not have a hill to shoot into. I'm actually shooting out of a hay loft in the barn so I'm shooting down-ish (bout 25ft vertical difference) and there's no houses behind my shooting lane but I still don't want to have an accidental ricochet. I'm looking for some kind of idea where I could set up a backstop that I could shoot at at 300yds then move to 400yds. I wouldn't move it on a day to day basis, it could be moved w/ a truck as well.

I was thinking sand bags but those things are just gonna get shot up leak sand everywhere after 10 shots.

Thanks guys!
T.J.

Best I can tell you is to use a front end loader and build up a few permanent embankments.
There were a few companies at the nra show in dallas selling just what your looking for but I can't remember their names but you could look at the vender list of the Dallas show and find it. They were displaying one large enough to stop a 50bmg.
Sorry I couldn't be more help

As long as you are going to use a truck.....maybe a stack of old tires, filled with dirt, on a little flatbed trailer.

We had a backstop at the old camp that was just some junk tractor tires & dirt.....lasted over 30 yrs.

Maybe build a bullet trap system. there are several videos online though they aren't really portable and you're restricted to a smaller target. It may be cheaper to rent a skid steer and build a berm and be done with it.

Since you will be shooting into the ground a round bale of hay might work to catch any deflected bullets. Hay seems soft but I doubt a bullet could travel through several feet of alfalfa in a bale.

As long as you are going to use a truck.....maybe a stack of old tires, filled with dirt, on a little flatbed trailer.

We had a backstop at the old camp that was just some junk tractor tires & dirt.....lasted over 30 yrs.

this actually isn't a bad idea at all! I do have a flatbed trailer as well, never really thought of making it "rollable" lol

Might be easier to build one, very well built backstop and a movable/rolling bench...

Since you will be shooting into the ground a round bale of hay might work to catch any deflected bullets. Hay seems soft but I doubt a bullet could travel through several feet of alfalfa in a bale.

The large round bail works great. Been shooting a 300 Weatherby into one for over 20 years with no issues. Another option would be lashed together rail road ties.

I've used a Block archery target. Arrows actually penetrate further that the bullets. It might be a bit small for 3-400 yard shooting, but very portable.

Well I figured it out, gonna take some brush hogging and lane trimming but I can get a 400yd range out to our manure pile, that solves that, not sure why I didn’t think bout that lol

I like the idea of tires filled with sand. I do some bullet casting and used to use lea I dug back out of dirt back stop's. Don't have one very close anymore.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back