Caribou Gear

Pork Fat in Bozeman?

I couldn’t imagine taking some of the leanest, healthy meat you can lay your hands on and adding beef or worse for you yet pork.

I guess I like my elk to taste like,,well, elk. Oh and not clog my arteries. Something us old guys think about.

If you want Italian sausage or the like, it takes extra ingredients. If you want an elk burger...pretty simple.
A balanced diet and eating moderately along with daily exercise is worth a try.

I just add a little extra olive oil while frying. I'm like tjones. I like elk to taste like elk. After eating so much venison, I actually find all the grease in beef burger offputting.

Our burger we normally don't grind any fat with it. If we do decide to do a batch with it we use bacon ends and pieces ground in with the meat 10lbs of venison to 1lb of bacon pieces. We can buy 3lb packages of bacon ends and pieces for $8 a package

Lots of fat shaming going on in this post ;) The goal with adding pork or beef fat to your meat is not to taint your meat with the flavor, but to allow the heat to dissipate through the beef and cook it evenly. When you grill a burger, the fat turns to liquid and falls out of the meat. When you put it in a pan, you end up draining this fat out of the bottom of the pan. It's why when I buy ground beef, I always opt for the 80% and never spring for the 90+%. The end result is nearly identical, if not better, with the higher fat percentage.

I find a straight game grind will always turn into a brick before it cooks in the middle. If you grind a little fat in, problem solved! I do most of my burger meat with beef fat, because my wife prefers it. I do most of the other grind (for meat pies, loaf, etc...) with pork and ground much finer.

Edit: To answer the OP's question, I'll buy the fat at either T&C or Matt's Meats here in Livingston.

Suggestion- Buy Hank Shaw’s Buck, buck Moose book. Great recipes and he’ll give suggestions for how to butcher.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back