Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Polls: Kerry won debate

Ithaca 37

(CNN) -- A majority of Americans believe Sen. John Kerry won the first presidential debate of the 2004 campaign, putting him in a virtual tie with President Bush, according to polls released Saturday by Newsweek and the Los Angeles Times.

Newsweek reported that Thursday's debate in Miami, Florida, had "erased the lead" that Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have held over Kerry and running mate Sen. John Edwards since the Republican National Convention in New York.

Newsweek's post-convention poll had Bush leading among registered voters 54 percent to 43 percent. Its post-debate poll had 47 percent choosing Kerry-Edwards, and 45 percent for Bush-Cheney. Two percent said they would vote for Ralph Nader and his running mate, Peter Camejo.

The Newsweek survey polled more than 1,000 registered voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus four percentage points.

Newsweek's post-debate poll showed 61 percent of respondents said Kerry won, 19 percent said Bush won and 16 percent said they were undecided.

The poll also found 56 percent said Kerry did better than expected in the debate while 11 percent said the same for Bush.

In the Los Angeles Times poll, 54 percent of 725 respondents surveyed declared Kerry the winner of the debate, compared with 15 percent who said Bush won.

Before the debate, a Los Angeles Times poll showed Kerry with a one percentage point lead over Bush, and after the debate Kerry's lead increased to two points. Those margins are well within the poll's margin of error -- plus or minus four percentage points.

The debate was the first of three match-ups between Kerry and Bush.

Vice President Dick Cheney and his Democratic challenger, John Edwards, will debate in Cleveland, Ohio, on Tuesday. (Full story)

On Friday, the second presidential debate will take place in St. Louis, Missouri, followed by the final debate on October 13 in Tempe, Arizona.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/03/election.poll/index.html

I am not so sure as to the fact that Kerry won the debate, I am however sure that Bush blew the debate bigtime. That was downright painful to watch. It seems to me that not only has Bush declared war on terrorism he has also declared war on the English language. :D He could have sealed the deal on Thursday, instead he gave Kerry a huge opening and could in all reality allow Kerry to become the next POTUS.

That scares me. Bad.

It scares me to have someone as stupid as Dubya for POTUS! I'm hoping the debates wake people up to what a peabrain they elected 4 years ago. :eek: I kinda think a lot of the Dubya fans never really took a good look at him, but maybe they're just as dimwitted as him and think that's normal. Can you believe he graduated from Yale? :rolleyes: How do you suppose that happened?

A-con, "The fact that Bush isn't a great debater or even a very good public speaker dosn't make him stupid," I agree. That's not what makes him stupid. It's probably something else. And I don't think he's really "stupid", I just don't think he's very bright. Here's today's news:

"Kerry was judged the winner of the debate by more than two to one -- 57 percent to 25 percent -- of likely voters in the poll. Voters also thought the Democrat expressed himself more clearly and he was more intelligent, according to the poll.........."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=2&u=/nm/20041004/pl_nm/campaign_poll_dc

I have to agree Kerry won the "debate" Bush had some good chances to make Kerry look like an IDIOT and he didn`t seize the moment.

And to think, this was the debate in which Kerry has the least experience with (foreign policy). I don't think these debates will be good for GW, but they should make Nov. 2 a bit more interesting.

Kerry clearly won the debate, he slaughtered Bush.
The fact that Bush isn't a great debater or even a very good public speaker dosn't make him stupid,
come on Ithica, even you know that.

Kind of on a similar line, does being a good used car salesman make someone a good person?

Personally, I saw hole after hole in Kerry's arguements. Mr. Bush passed up several opportunities to make Kerry look more stupid than he looks "adaptable" (I believe that is the term that is being used to describe the constant changing of position). Guess GW needs to go back to debate school.

:cool:

I thought the President looked and acted tired. I was hoping for a repeat of four years ago when he put Gore away. BTW, just like some of you have stated I heard things said by Kerry that I wanted to wonder If he wanted to Guide us or Give us away. Screw the U.N. Draftstud.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back