Point Creep realistic topping out number

Alright you win the internet. šŸŽ‰
I missed where you said you were referring specifically to bull elk, my apologies. On second reading Iā€™m still not seeing it. Yeah, prospects are not great. But saying WY is a ā€œno NR stateā€ is hyperbolic and misleading.
My oldest NR nephew has had 3 wyoming youth bull tags in a row here...but what do I know?

Oh and 2 cow tags and a buck pronghorn too

"You can buy a bear tag today in MT/WY/ID and have great hunt for the next week+." - Strawman argument, the discussion was about elk, and in particular, bull elk.

"A youth NR lope doe tag in WY is nearly free." - Strawman argument; I am not a youth and we are discussing bull elk.

I can hunt cow elk in CO probably every year if that is what I wanted to do for far, far less price of admission than WY. But that isn't the topic at hand, the discussion is about bull elk.

If you have better data than what Randy provided earlier in the thread, please share it, but a <0.5% chance of drawing (random) and 15+yrs of point creep in front of me is more 0% in my book than "decent odds".

And yes, there will someone that fills that 0.5%. Just like there is going to be that one person that wins the lottery. Good for that individual or that lucky few. Neither is a sound strategy for success, for hunting or retirement.
I enjoy hunting cow elk about as much as anything.

More fun to do that than complain about draw odds, imo.

So far this year, all my tags/hunts are pure random draw or OTC. 4 hunts at this moment.

It would be nice if all the people who really wanted to hunt this year were on equal footing instead of being at the mercy of those people who have had it good for 30 years.
Lol, OTC tags werenā€™t exactly what I had in mind. But you donā€™t need to rape others for those type tags. I only want one tag this year, and will know shortly. Got a 90% chance for that with 25 points.

I enjoy hunting cow elk about as much as anything.

More fun to do that than complain about draw odds, imo.

I donā€™t want anyone to get the wrong idea here:

Hunting cow elk and doe pronghorn sucks. Hunting whitetails sucks. Hunting units with GoHunt trophy potentials of less than 180ā€ on mule deer sucks.
Everyone needs to hold out for the primo tags.

:)

I donā€™t want anyone to get the wrong idea here:

Hunting cow elk and doe pronghorn sucks. Hunting whitetails sucks. Hunting units with GoHunt trophy potentials of less than 180ā€ on mule deer sucks.
Everyone needs to hold out for the primo tags.

:)
What are you talking about dude hunting all pronghorn sucks, not just the does

No, it is not. It is pretty close to exactly right.
If you're specifically referring to bull elk, yes it's a decreasing opportunity that wyoga would like to corner in full. On the whole, not even close. I assume you'll be at the next taskforce meeting to get involved as well.

To address your concerns, I'm told that G&F is developing a blue chip blunderbuss-only red desert elk tag set-aside for disconsolate Iowans.

wyoming is still the ticket in my book. completed my 5th year of hunting last fall and 5 of the 9 animals i've taken so far were wyoming. 3 does 2 bucks. have a pretty solid wyoming cow tag in my pocket right now. of those 5 filled tags i've held 2 on top of that that i didn't even hunt, i regret that.

could've easily drawn and shot several more buck pronghorn over that time frame but for personal reasons i'm really trying to get a specific tag.

Point game is getting tougher by the year. It will be interested to observe the ā€œstate of the Westā€ in 5 years.

Changes will continue to come, certainly more bad than good for NRs. However, I do believe that NRs will have the ability to hunt bulk elk and possibly even buck mule deer in both Wyoming and Montana every year sometime in the relatively near future (just not exactly in the way weā€™d all prefer).

Point game is getting tougher by the year. It will be interested to observe the ā€œstate of the Westā€ in 5 years.

Changes will continue to come, certainly more bad than good for NRs. However, I do believe that NRs will have the ability to hunt bulk elk and possibly even buck mule deer in both Wyoming and Montana every year sometime in the relatively near future (just not exactly in the way weā€™d all prefer).

even under the most pessimistic of scenarios if someone is diligent and applying consistently across new mexico, colorado, wyoming, montana, and idaho. you could easily have too many bull and buck tags to hunt for a healthy number of years.

but that certainly doesnt mean the direction we're heading is good.

I agree, I have points going in several states for several different species. Hope I get to use them all.

I just predict that cash is going to be a more valuable commodity in obtaining game tags than points are in even more scenarios in the near future than is currently the case. A part of a smart NRs application/tag strategy should be to embrace that reality, IMO.

Yeah, we are not there and hope it doesnā€™t get there.

Fingers crossed for some Wyoming generosity for this smelly NR this year!

What are you talking about dude hunting all pronghorn sucks, not just the does
and who in their right mind hunts bear...

1. they taste gross
2. they look like small dogs mostly
3. when you skin them they look like folks

Honestly, folks should focus on real hunts like whitetail. I mean they eat amazing, you can shoot one from your stand, and then load it into your gator on your back 40.

Well on a positive note, thereā€™s 25 points I wonā€™t have to worry about getting cheapened anymore. Because Colorado burned them all for me on a unit 61 elk tag. And the Red Army members who labeled me a ā€œpoint hoarderā€ should be pacified? šŸ˜‚

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back