Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Poached antler sales

I would way rather have them sold and hopefully raise some money to offset the tax burden we all pay for LE. It’s actually lowering prices for antler and fur sales by adding supply. Destroying wildlife parts would be a massive waste of resources I’m glad they sell them. It’s actually refreshing to see the government not just throw them away. Seems like the government mo is waste so this is a nice change. If officers or someone involved in enforcement received part of the proceeds directly I would be concerned but that’s not the case.

"My" soft judges, ain't just a Utah problem.

Not sure what "libs" has to do with anything.

I "feel" like poaching sentences are weak. Mainly because they are. Generally they include hunting bans. Bans which to law abiding folks might matter. To poachers, they didn't care about hunting laws to start with.
Poaching sentences have been weak. A positive is I have seen some pretty legit poaching penalties recently. Some states are starting to throw the book at poaching it seems. Just a few I recently read about but I agree that generally poaching had been way under prosecuted

I would way rather have them sold and hopefully raise some money to offset the tax burden we all pay for LE. It’s actually lowering prices for antler and fur sales by adding supply. Destroying wildlife parts would be a massive waste of resources I’m glad they sell them. It’s actually refreshing to see the government not just throw them away. Seems like the government mo is waste so this is a nice change. If officers or someone involved in enforcement received part of the proceeds directly I would be concerned but that’s not the case.

To be honest. I'm much more concerned that there has become such a big market for horns, period, so that's probably some of my hesitation.

Seems like we are bumping up against the market hunting/trapping model that nearly destroyed hunting to start with.

Poaching sentences have been weak. A positive is I have seen some pretty legit poaching penalties recently. Some states are starting to throw the book at poaching it seems. Just a few I recently read about but I agree that generally poaching had been way under prosecuted
No one can fix Utah but UT'S. You asked for thoughts in your first post. You got some. Stop arguing with other peoples "thoughts".
We all have state issues. FIX yours, and we will work on ours. My thoughts.

Generally they include hunting bans. Bans which to law abiding folks might matter. To poachers, they didn't care about hunting laws to start with.
What folks often don’t realize is violating a hunting ban then typically bumps offense classification into the felony level.

It’s no different than prohibiting a convicted felon from possessing a firearm.

No one can fix Utah but UT'S. You asked for thoughts in your first post. You got some. Stop arguing with other peoples "thoughts".
What? Ha ha I never asked for anyones thoughts and I don’t live in Utah? I was just commenting on some pretty stiff poaching penalties I have read about recently

I apologize TRAP. I was agreeing with your post.
I was referring to the hossblur post on the top. Meant for him. Sorry sir.

Didn't realize we were only allowed to comment on issues pertaining to the state we reside in.

If that's the rule, perhaps you should have noticed the article was a Utah antler sale. I'll assume, not in your state.

What folks often don’t realize is violating a hunting ban then typically bumps offense classification into the felony level.

It’s no different than prohibiting a convicted felon from possessing a firearm.
Not only this, but poachers use legal hunting to hide their poaching. Much harder to get away with poaching if you can not have a license. For example, poach a buck after dark during season and you can plaster the net with pictures the next day and no one will be the wiser. Try that with a license revocation and someone will turn you in by noon.

Last edited:
"My" soft judges, ain't just a Utah problem.

Not sure what "libs" has to do with anything.

I "feel" like poaching sentences are weak. Mainly because they are. Generally they include hunting bans. Bans which to law abiding folks might matter. To poachers, they didn't care about hunting laws to start with.
I agree. I would advocate that repeat poachers have the vehicle(s) and any weapons used in the poaching confiscated. It’s hard to keep poaching without your truck or rifles.

Burn all of it! No reason to create supply or interest in wildlife trade.
Whoa 😳 there’s already interest in wildlife trade. Restricting supply or worse yet banning the sale of antlers etc just increases the value. If it’s illegal you just push prices way up and create a black market where the most unethical will trade. Don’t get me wrong I wish antlers had zero dollar value but they do.

Anybody noting what some of these heads are selling for? Holy cow.
The auction in Billings last summer was incredible. Some dead heads and antlers were going for over 10k a set.

The sheep side of it was almost unbelievable. 15k or more for big rams.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back