Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Plug for www.huntingGPSmaps.com

In response to RatFink and the assumption that we are using data that is readily available to the public he is right and wrong. We do use some data from federal sources such as the Forest Service and BLM. In MT for example the state has also organized a great Cadastral Data system that makes it easy for us to get the private land information as well. So that is why RatFink can make some of his own maps for MT in 20 minutes. I'm not sure if he realizes all of the other states we make though.

Matt -

I too work in the GIS field and what you say may be true for other states, I know that all of the data used in Montana is available publicly. I have been a field technician and there is no way you guys could afford to pay a field tech to collect proprietary data and create something of that quality for that price. Spatially you can represent the data in a different manner but it all boils down to being public data. MT is very open about making GIS data public and there is a big push in the industry for more open data and sharing. I know other states aren't as open so there may be bigger benefit for your services in say ID or AZ.

One thing I really appreciate about what you guys do is that it has given more hunters confidence in trying to hunt fringe areas like checker boarded lands or public lands that are illegally posted. Guys doing that will help put pressure on the government to open up more land for hunting via easements to landlocked, but more specifically opening up checkerboard lands. The tide is turning on being locked out of checker boarded lands and much of that can be attributed to modern GPS technologies.

You guys provide a great service for many. My buddy I used to work with and I were doing exactly what you do except with a laptop and a Trimble unit for years before your product came out. It was a big bulky way to do what a guy can do in his hand now. I am not a guy that will buy your product, but many don't have the GIS/GPS knowledge I have. I pay a mechanic to fix my car because I am not a mechanic, just as guys pay you to provide maps on their GPS because they know nothing about GIS. I wish you the best of success with your business and appreciate your sponsorship of this site. That's why I generally don't mention the other free stuff that's out there by name.

Last edited:
I searched for "Hunting GPS Maps" in the Google Play store and didn't come up with their product.:confused:

Same here. I ended up having to go to their website and use the link from there. I'm not sure why it doesn't show up with the search in the google play store. I downloaded the Colorado map and it shows all of the unit boundaries, and topography.

It has each state separate so search for the state you want. Ex: "huntco" for Colorado or "huntwa" for Washington. They should come up then.

Outdoor Junkie,

You are in luck, with the download you always have access to your maps via our online MyMaps area. In this area you can always download the files to your computer in case it has crashed, we store your unlock codes, and you can buy additional unlock codes.

If you don't have your password you might want to try resetting it because we went to a new system in Sept. and reset every-bodies passwords. Try logging in or use the forgot password link with the email you used to purchase. When you get into the account you should have access to all of your info.

If you have any questions we have two great guys ready to answer the phone and walk you through anything you need. Just give them a call at 208-GPS-MAPS.

Rat Fink,

You are absolutely right on your reply, I like the mechanic analogy and that makes perfect sense. How did the rest of your season go this year? We had a great hunt last week out east for ducks and geese, can't believe the season is already over or at lest for me, heading out for most of January to do Trade Shows. Time to plan for next year now.

Matt

Matt,

I'm impressed with you(r company's) customer service. Helping out on a third party's forum is going above and beyond. I'll be putting in an order straight away.

Matt,
I really like your product BUT I bought the WYPlat map in September and four months later I have an outdated $110 map. Your free update period should be one year from date of purchase! The value of your product has certainly gone down since your price restructuring in August.

Chris

Used it this last season for the first time and loved it. Had the chip in the Garmin Nuvi while we were moving between spots. Pulled it out and popped it into my hand held GPS when we got out to hike. I really like the zoom features and being able to really see how close you are to private. A great tool for peace of mind when you think you are close.

I have used them with alot of success. My wife and daughter both killed WY antelope in areas that I wouldn't have hunted before them.

Awesome! Thanks Matt! I'll try this as soon as I get the computer back from the people fixing it!

To the rest of the folks on the fence out there, words can't say how great of a product this is if you are hunting the checkerboard areas or areas of broken up public land! My buddy and I were set up about 1/3 of a mile apart hunting mulies in October when a guy came by each of us and said your hunting private land, you need to leave. We both showed him our GPS units which showed we were clearly on state land by at least 300-400 yards. He told us that he and his 4 friends paid $600 apiece for a tresspass charge to hunt that land and an ajoining section. We told him we were sorry and that they should buy the chip and save the money next time.

I am in no way associated with these guys, but they make an awesome product! There is nothing better than planning your hunts using this tool. It's a great way to spend those cold winter evenings!

Outdoor Junkie,

You are in luck, with the download you always have access to your maps via our online MyMaps area. In this area you can always download the files to your computer in case it has crashed, we store your unlock codes, and you can buy additional unlock codes.

If you don't have your password you might want to try resetting it because we went to a new system in Sept. and reset every-bodies passwords. Try logging in or use the forgot password link with the email you used to purchase. When you get into the account you should have access to all of your info.

If you have any questions we have two great guys ready to answer the phone and walk you through anything you need. Just give them a call at 208-GPS-MAPS.

Rat Fink,

You are absolutely right on your reply, I like the mechanic analogy and that makes perfect sense. How did the rest of your season go this year? We had a great hunt last week out east for ducks and geese, can't believe the season is already over or at lest for me, heading out for most of January to do Trade Shows. Time to plan for next year now.

Matt

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back