would you buy a raffle ticket

• yes

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • no

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

belshawelk

This is a about hunting.....

Try to make this short. I am a youth softball coach in my last season. I have been coaching for 15 years. Coached my oldest from t-ball through High School ( I am also a varsity coach) until she left for college on a softball scholarship. Now my youngest is in her last year, as she also heads to college. So, it will be mine also for now. We travel nationally and play the top tournaments. We are a non profit team and no coaches get paid. We normally get about $8,000 a year in sponsorships from small business around the state. This helps pay for travel, food, gear, tournament fees. This year is very different of course and many of our sponsors are barley hanging on and cant keep their employees working. I just struggle asking for sponsorships. We are doing some other things as fundraisers but it wont be enough. SO-................. here is my hair brain idea.

The only way I can think to raise money for the girls is try something new that I have never done. I would like to raffle off a guided cow hunt on my property in eastern Oregon. This is really a raffle for trespass fees as I am not a registered guide, but I have to guide you. My property lies in a unit with over the counter cow tags ( damage tags). This is not go out in to field and shoot a cow. It is actually a tough hunt with step canyons. You will need to be in shape. Over the last 7 years I owned this we run about 50% on harvest. This year we got 4 cows. 2019 we should have had at least one, but it didn't work out. 2018 no elk, 2017 2 elk.
Here is what it would look like:
-5 day guided hunt. My buddy who hunts every year with me on this property will help also.
- you have to get tag ( its over the counter) a NR its about $350ish
- lodging and meals provided. I have a very nice 3 bedroom cabin ( on a separate property)
- I will provide transportation if you need to fly in to Portland ( about a 4.5hr drive)
-I will gut, cut and help pack out ( unless you have a need to gut an elk)
-I own 700 acres but have hunting access on about 4,000 acres, all private.
-hunt dates anytime from 3rd week of October to 3rd week of November.
-rifle hunt and shots anywhere from 100 to 350 yards. ( or longer is you have the means)
-of course all the processing and extra's are not covered.

I need to raise at least $5,000 for this work out. I am thinking $20 ticket. That means I gotta sell at least 250 tickets. I an trying to gauge interest before I go thru all the work to set this up. I know lots of local people would buy one, would you coming from out of state?

As an ex softball coach of over two decades as well as a fellow Oregonian hell yes you could count me in!

I would throw my hat in the ring for a couple of tickets at $20 a pop. Sounds like a good time!

I consider Eastern Oregon part of my stomping grounds. I'd rather put in with you than go after another useless sheep raffle tag.
Are you in Wallowa County?

My wife and I are in as often as our $ permits for quality causes. Sounds like a great support for these young gals and a good send off for your coaching spirit. Tough gig to keep this going during COVID-19.

Count us in for 2-5 tickets. Wish we could give more.

I don't think you would hv any problems raffling this. I'm good for 5 tickets

You get something figured out and put a link up and I will buy tickets. I don't know that I would necessarily get to do the hunt, but I'm all about supporting a good cause.

I am all for helping out a worthy cause. I voted No on this as it would be questionable on the legality.

I’ll buy a ticket and I live near by. Happy to help out with the hunt as well if you could use a packer, scout whatever.

I’ll contribute with two tickets! No interest in traveling there, but because it’s a worthy cause. May I also suggest adding in a rifle? I don’t know what it is about gun raffles, but they generate so much damn interest. Something like a Savage Axis or other $3-$500 range gun. Especially right now with old inventory sales, you may find a sympathetic local dealer who would contribute the rifle and transfer free to the cause!

Last edited:
I am all for helping out a worthy cause. I voted No on this as it would be questionable on the legality.
Reads like a brainstorming idea. It’s been a few years since I read up on the applicable statutes, easy enough to clean that up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back