Plate ‘em up

Your sheepshead aren’t our sheepshead I bet. The fish we call sheepshead are a freshwater drum. Good smoked and pickled but the bones are to prevalent to do anything else.
IMG956839.jpgthe three in the top of this photo are sheepshead here in the gulf of Mexico. Their diet of fiddler crabs, barnacles, and such translates to a really flavorful fillet.

View attachment 187061the three in the top of this photo are sheepshead here in the gulf of Mexico. Their diet of fiddler crabs, barnacles, and such translates to a really flavorful fillet.
Those look similar to our sheepshead. We usually catch them when we are walleye fishing wing dams on the Mississippi River. I’ve caught them on live bait and artificial. Pound for pound they might be the best fighter in the river.

How’d they turn out?
Good flavor, over cooked though and the fat turned to wax on the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. I will definitely do it again and try to perfect the smoking. That being said at this point if I’m close enough to the truck to load a whole animal I’ll bring the ribs, if I’m a couple miles back I’m not bringing the ribs out.

Good flavor, over cooked though and the fat turned to wax on the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. I will definitely do it again and try to perfect the smoking. That being said at this point if I’m close enough to the truck to load a whole animal I’ll bring the ribs, if I’m a couple miles back I’m not bringing the ribs out.
How did you cook them through fruition? Perhaps a smoked 3-2-1 would have worked better to render out that fat....?

How did you cook them through fruition? Perhaps a smoked 3-2-1 would have worked better to render out that fat....?
I rushed the whole process, found out mid morning that’s what my wife had planned for dinner. Brined for a few hours, dried and then applied a dry rub, then cooked at 225 while we ran some errands and took longer than expected. Wife looked up the recipe and I had never done any type of ribs before. Lots to learn before I do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back