Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Planning our first Mule Deer/Couse Deer hunt

TrickyTross

We are heading back to Idaho this year to hunt elk, and that bug and excitement that went into planning for that trip left an itch we are gonna try and scratch with Mule Deer. Our research has led to looking at Arizona during January with an OTC Archery tag in either of the southern regions. Time is restrained, so we are looking at a long weekend (fly a red-eye or whatnot after work on Thursday, fly back Monday night/Tuesday morning) to try and spot and stalk. We believe we know the areas we may check out, but I was blown away by Arizonas F&G website and the info it has readily available on it! That has been pretty sweet!
Gonna start e-scouting different areas; would you recommend following the same thing as we do for elk based off of Randys series on elk e-scouting? Or are there other things that Mule deer desire more? Or that would bear more weight for them?
Any podcast/YouTube/books that you would recommend checking out to familiarize yourself with Mule Deer?

We aren't trying to go for any monsters or anything, just trying to get out and pursue a different species with a different backdrop. We each have kids and our game plan is to be better at this Western hunting game in the next 10 years to give them a leg up when they are 18+. Feel free to pm me if youd rather not share on this thread.

Hope everyone has a great season! Its almost upon us (and is for some of those lucky folks after Antelope) and I cant wait to follow along with all the threads and hunts!

Pick up a Javelina tag while your here if there are any leftovers,There always are.
Be sure to bring heavy pants and gaiters.Lots of sharp edges around here especially Southern Az. :cool:

Last edited:
Heading there ourselves for a week in january. Never been so I have no advice for ya, but good luck. I'll be checking in occasionally.

Most of the of the mule deer in the southern part of the state are going to be in the flats or washes. Water & green vegetation are king down here. Some years water is more abundant and that disperses the deer over the landscape. GoHunt has a good video on an OTC mule deer hunt here in AZ. I'd watch that to get a feel for the the type of habitat they are hunting

Most of the of the mule deer in the southern part of the state are going to be in the flats or washes. Water & green vegetation are king down here. Some years water is more abundant and that disperses the deer over the landscape. GoHunt has a good video on an OTC mule deer hunt here in AZ. I'd watch that to get a feel for the the type of habitat they are hunting
Thanks hoss! I keep hearing that the best bet is to glass and know the difference between a morning bed and their "all-day bed". Ill check out that video, if there are any others, just holler!

That's a short hunt for archery coues. It will take a couple days to pattern them. Spooky little critters. I was unsuccessful on a rifle hunt last year but I made the mistake of being picky at first. They like rugged terrain. Glass the shade in the middle of the day. Watch hillsides as the sun first hits them in the morning. That may be a couple hours after sunrise depending on how the slope faces.

And ditto on javelina tag.

That's a short hunt for archery coues. It will take a couple days to pattern them. Spooky little critters. I was unsuccessful on a rifle hunt last year but I made the mistake of being picky at first. They like rugged terrain. Glass the shade in the middle of the day. Watch hillsides as the sun first hits them in the morning. That may be a couple hours after sunrise depending on how the slope faces.

And ditto on javelina tag.
Yea. Gonna use what time we have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back