Caribou Gear Tarp

Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

Is the drought getting any better in eastern Montana yet, or is still looking like tough feed and water source conditions?

Is the drought getting any better in eastern Montana yet, or is still looking like tough feed and water source conditions?
We are starting out worse than last year, at least in NE Montana. I heard they counted a 40% decrease in deer locally on the flights a few weeks ago. It’s not going to be pretty.

I also doubt it will stop the hordes from showing up in October anyway.

We are starting out worse than last year, at least in NE Montana. I heard they counted a 40% decrease in deer locally on the flights a few weeks ago. It’s not going to be pretty.

SE Montana is as bad as I’ve seen it. Numbers are way down, landscape looks sad. People were complaining about numbers last year and I don’t see it getting better even with some moisture.
I also doubt it will stop the hordes from showing up in November anyway.

Pretty sad to hear. Hopefully the die off of whitetail will give the remaining mule deer a chance to bounce back a bit.

Ya that’s probably right. Just trying to keep a glass half full approach for this year I guess.
Can't blame you for that one bit. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I asked a few rancher buddies of mine that live out east and they have all said they didn't find many dead ones. Not sure if that is good or bad. Was a relatively mild winter, but did very few die because there are very few deer?

And if there is few deer does that mean the bucks will have that much more feed for themselves? I really don’t know. Different ways to look at it perhaps

Can't blame you for that one bit. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I asked a few rancher buddies of mine that live out east and they have all said they didn't find many dead ones. Not sure if that is good or bad. Was a relatively mild winter, but did very few die because there are very few deer?
Was gonna say deer that aren't there can't be found dead.

Are things greening up at all? I saw some small showers pass thru the last couple weeks. Looks like it’s gonna get a lot of snow middle of next week around Forsyth.

Not considered relief, one storm, thats a tease. Wish we could send you some of our rain.

It’s a good thing there are adaptive strategies in place to manage hunter dispersal and overall harvest in the region. Oh, wait…

Luckily issuing the same amount of doe tags as last year should help the population rebound
EF35DBBF-6CEC-443C-B92A-694C782FD32B.jpeg

It’s a good thing there are adaptive strategies in place to manage hunter dispersal and overall harvest in the region. Oh, wait…
Like forcing us (NR) to use or lose our points? Would much rather have waited another year or two for the herd to recover but MT FWP wants that $$ now I guess.
At least I have a bird dog to bring this year... I'll shoot my forkie the first day and then focus on some birds.

Like forcing us (NR) to use or lose our points? Would much rather have waited another year or two for the herd to recover but MT FWP wants that $$ now I guess.
At least I have a bird dog to bring this year... I'll shoot my forkie the first day and then focus on some birds.
Montana isn’t forcing you to do anything. You are lucky they allow you to come hunt here.

Montana’s been in the shitter long before you had your couple points. Waiting a couple years will probably be worse. Remember according to the biologists we are in the glory years. Means it’s only downhill from here

Back