Planning a Yaak Attack!

Bulldog0156

Guys,

Looking for any advice (hunting or otherwise) on the Yaak. I'm planning on spending a week in the wall tent up there somewhere looking for whitetails and maybe some muleys too starting a week from tomorrow. I've tried the area biologist a few times the past few weeks but unfortunately she's been just as busy as me! I've always heard good things about the number and quality of deer up there, but have never actually ventured that far northwest.

Regardless, it should be a good adventure~

Seriously though, have fun. I grew up in the Flathead and the Yaak is country I've always wanted to explore but never found the time for. I don't doubt big critters can be found.

This is something I've wanted to do as well and I'm still not ruling out heading over there this fall. I did do a little scouting over there a couple weeks ago. It's interesting country. The timber is thick enough that calling, rattling, and some luck will likely be the keys to success. I don't see aimlessly trying to still walk through that country as being an overly productive approach. Might be a good way to meet a grizzly though. I'd be real interested to hear how your hunt goes. Hope you'll post a trip report.

bring your rattling horns and know where your gun hits from 25 to 50 yards. Most of its real thick woods.

One thing the Yaak has is closed roads and second-growth clearcuts. Also it is thick and rainy. There are a few grizzly but not densities are low compared to elsewhere in NW MT. In the Kootenai in my experience is trying to find a balance between visibility and cover. Find a spot where you can see, maybe with a finger creek nearby, and keep the wind in your face. It's real North Woods whitetails, no fences, farms or silly nicknames. Mulies generally run up high. There is not much timber line in the Yaak, but there are some muleys there, and some good ones.

I'll definitely throw up a report. I was able to talk to the area biologist who was a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful today. Should be a good time!

"We ended up going to eastern Montana; it's a lot more open over there. "

THAT is the understatement of the year! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back