Pillow help

peterk1234

This aging body just can't get a good night sleep in the backcountry anymore without a good pillow. I'm sick and tired of waking up a dozen times a night due to discomfort. I've been using inflatables but they work, well like an inflatable. They suck. Can anybody suggest something soft and supportive, but doesn't weigh three pounds? Thx Pete

Sorry Im probably not much help, but I use a folded up jacket. When my dad went along he took one of those roughly 18×18 sofa pillows. Bulky but he slept good

I have some neck injuries and have to use a firm pillow at house. When in back country i use a thermarest pillow case with my teton sports inflatable seat cushion and my puffy jacket in it. Makes for a nice pillow with almost no extra weight.

I pack an inflatable but put it into a stuff sack along with my extra clothing and wrap a puffy around it. That’s the best I’ve come up with but I only spend a night or two out of my pack at a time.

Truck camping I still bring at least one pillow and stack stuff under. I stack three pillows at home, need lots of support.

I too hate blow up pillows, tried a lot of them. Some are not terrible but none are as good as the thermorest compressible pillow. Is it the smallest and lightest, no. Is it the most comfortable I have found, for sure. I use the large for truck camping and I bring the small for everything else. It is a luxury item.

One of my hunting partners has a hard time sleeping in the backcountry, last season he packed in a ultralight cot, two pillows and 4 ounces of whiskey for each night. Worked great for him at 11,000’. I use a cheap inflatable and a jacket, but next year I’m trying some of his whiskey - especially if he’s packing it!

Landed on head from several feet up as a tween. Neck is messed up. I modified the pillow I use at home and cut to be just a bit more than what my head touches as sleep on my back.

I also use an air-activated disposable hand-warmer on my neck that goes into a pocket I added to my neck gaiter.

I also use ear plugs, eye patch and take Advil PM as needed. I sleep almost as good as if at home as is dark, quiet and my normal pillow.

We do what LopeHunter does. Our camping pillows were regular sized pillows that we custom tailored.

No love for inflatable pillows here. I use some small 12x12 throw pillow. Cheap. Effective. Good nights sleep.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back