Pig hunting with dogs

RyeGuy74

I'm guessing this going to sound like a dumb question to the experienced people who read this but is pig hunting with dogs something someone could get into or is it one of those kinds of hunting you almost have to be raised doing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Yeah you can get into it. I would recommend getting hooked up with some guys that run hog dogs first and learning the ropes from them. It’s expensive and time consuming dealing with dogs all year long. Not to mention tracking collars, dog box, etc. A seasoned hog hunter could point you in the right direction and it would be a lot easier than learning it all by yourself.

Yeah you can get into it. I would recommend getting hooked up with some guys that run hog dogs first and learning the ropes from them. It’s expensive and time consuming dealing with dogs all year long. Not to mention tracking collars, dog box, etc. A seasoned hog hunter could point you in the right direction and it would be a lot easier than learning it all by yourself.

I started hoind hunting in 2005. I had no hounds previously. I had no friends that did it. I ended up with a dog to start and now I have 7 of the damn things. Fun as ever, and need constant care about like a 4 year old.

It will consume your life.

Look around on local forums to find d someone who does it and try to get into it. Prepare to spend a lot of money. ($3000+) two years ago in one dog for vet bills. I spend easily $10,000 a year specifically related to my dogs, vet Bill's, food, repairs to vehicles, specific gear, etc.

This is for lion hunting here in NV.

I'm guessing this going to sound like a dumb question to the experienced people who read this but is pig hunting with dogs something someone could get into or is it one of those kinds of hunting you almost have to be raised doing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

In my experience the only things you can't get into as an adult are Olympic level women's gymnastics and figure skating... ever thing else is on the table provided you have enough drive.

I'd say it is definitely doable. Your best resource will be other hog doggers if you know any that can point you in the right direction and help you choose good dogs. It can be time consuming, costly, and guys I know that do it go through a fair amount of dogs before they get some good ones. It's not for everyone, but many love it. Access to run your dogs can be difficult depending on your state and who you know.

In my experience the only things you can't get into as an adult are Olympic level women's gymnastics and figure skating... ever thing else is on the table provided you have enough drive.
...you speak from experience? Have you tried? lol...

Its all about the Chase, that being said the catch can be very fun and entertaining also. In the 90's I caught wild hogs in FL with friends and family and it was awesome.

Rye guy, what state? There are guys who contract out catching hogs with dogs. I'd imagine if you worked at getting to know them, they would love to help you get into it. I had a bear hunting houndsman tell me "you raise this litter of pups after weaning, you can have one." Well I was in a fraternity house in college . It wasn't gonna happen...

Back