Pickup of the Future?

Well, he (Wildebeest) did drive a Tesla to the very NE corner of Minnesota a couple years ago. I was impressed as if he had driven an Conestoga and team of oxen. :)
He must not have went through Iowa, he would’ve had a smashed up car and still been stuck in a 4 car crash in Des Moines. 😂

As against electric vehicles as I am I wanna ask a few serious questions. Not as a way to write off electrics, just to see if my concerns about them are valid.

1. Does the range equate roughly to the Specs? Especially since you’re in a less than ideal environment for them.

2. Corrosiveness? I’m not sure if Montana uses salt or not, but for whatever reason any parts that energy moves through seems to corrode faster. (I have no idea of the connections on an electric vehicle so that’s why I ask)

3. Would you feel comfortable taking it on a cross country road trip? Between charging stations and how you rate it’s reliability.

Never been around one, these are just my concerns I see and wanna know if they are baseless.
1. As with most things, it depends. Speed, wind, outside temp are all big factors. Towing anything substantial will reduce range by 30-40%. That being said, under normal summer conditions driving nominally above the speed limit, mine is pretty accurate at getting the rated 315 miles.

2. I have no idea. Battery is sealed and truck is rated to ford water up to the side mirrors, so I’m guessing it’s not a problem. Had my Tesla for 6 years and never had an issue, but it was mostly in NC where road salt wasn’t that common.

3. Absolutely! I drove my Tesla back and forth from east coast to the Rockies at least 6 times. Those trips are where you really appreciate the autopilot technology. Far less exhausting when the car is making most of the mental work as well. In the early days, it took a bit more planning around charging, but nowadays it’s not an issue. At least for Tesla - non-Tesla charging still has some major gaps, especially WY, MT, OK and the Dakotas. Those holes are getting filled pretty quickly now though.

Last edited:
My daughter and her husband each drive a Tesla and they have ordered Tesla's pickup which they are just now started to deliver on the early pre orders. Most of their electricity is solar generated so they pay almost nothing to drive. I asked my SIL how long it would take to get a full charge with a portable generator. He told me 10 hours for a dead battery. If that is true and you're getting 250 miles per charge, it would be well worth packing a generator around while hunting or camping. You could keep the truck charged and still be getting over 100 miles per gallon. I am curious as to how much power the truck will have.

I'm not ready to run out and buy one but I am impressed with the EVs.

New high speed charger now open in Rock Springs. This will be very helpful for folks traveling across WY on I-80. Especially when fighting the headwinds that always seem to be blowing on that stretch of road. With high speed chargers now live in Evanston, Rock Springs, Rawlins and Cheyenne, that means chargers every 100-150 miles on I-80 thru WY. Casper, Gillette and Dubois also have high speed chargers active.

IMG_1532.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back