Picking Brains on Idaho's Selway zone -10 day Early October Hunt!

I agree with most of the posters above. Have not hunted the Selway zone but based on my limited experience in central Idaho - there is no training that will make you feel truly prepared. I know this is probably sounding redundant at this point but this is not saying you should avoid this area or Idaho in general, it's just so you understand what you are getting into. I spent my whole trip huffing and puffing and cursing but I would go back in a heartbeat. I have yet to find anywhere that compares to Idaho and I think about it all the time. Even if you go and aren't truly ready - it's worth it.

These guys really broke it down but i will add something i learned the hardway, just cause theres a trail on the map doesnt means there is one in the woods! 2 or 3 years ago in selway i did a big loop expecting to cut a #trail to get out. Well the trail hadnt been cleared in years and was PACKED with deadfalls. You can imagine how happy i was to climb all the way back up and out of draininge cause it wss impassable. Took a extra day to get out.... dont get in over your head but push yourself, sooner or later you will realize your in a amazing place and hopefully find some elk also.

JUst to be clear when I said about how tough hunting Idaho is compaired to hiking in Pa
Ive had the best hunts and some of the greatest time humping it up a mtn chasing bugles and huffing and puffing in Idaho would be back their in sept this yr except I kinda waited to long with this virus crap

When it takes you most of a day just to side hill one basin you quickly realize map miles are not reality. Take your time, use elevation to your advantage, glass and then glass some more, you'll be amazed how many miles of brutal climbing will be avoided.There are places where just to get back to your spike camp with an elk quarter only one pack load is humanly possible in an entire day. My wife told me after viewing some country I hunt that if she had to pack an elk "out of that hole" she'd become a vegetarian. I've been back packing meat for 50 years and it is never easy!!! You'll have memories that others will hear but never understand, and you'll start planning the next elk hunt while the sweat is still dripping into your eyes.
Good luck and Good Hunting
Lj

Here is a successful hunt there...
I was in the Tennessee group he met...nice guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back