Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pick a state to become a resident ...

wsking

Let's play the hypothetical of being able to work remote and live in any Western state (lower 48) to become a resident in 2024 and beyond.
Would be considering my own hunting as well as opportunities for younger children as they grow up.

Which state would you pick and why?

To clarify, no, I'm not in this situation currently but the wife and I were kicking ideas around on different states we could potentially see ourselves living at in the future.
I told her whichever would be the best for a resident hunter in that state and she wanted to know where that might be.
I'm a non-resident anywhere I apply and have never seen things from the resident side of the equation, so I figured I would throw the question out to get some thoughts.
Appreciate any responses in advance!

Depends on what you want to hunt. Fishing a consideration?

If I was big into bird hunting and excellent fishing, I would pick Idaho. Plenty of big game opportunities too.

If you like to travel all over a big state, Montana. Fair fishing, pretty good bird hunting, OK big-game.

Big game a priority, Wyoming is tough to beat, pretty fair fishing, bird hunting is below average.

I don't think any of those states are as good as they were for big-game 20-25 years ago and I don't think they will ever be that good again. I would also expect the hunting for big-game to be worse in all of them in another 10 years.

@Gellar I'm sure can attest to this but it honestly is hard to beat the outdoor paradise that the upper Mississippi valley/Coulee region holds. The only tiny hurdle in some areas is private land away from the big river.

i've been dreaming of living in wyoming since i was like 10 years old. never has it been realistic or very plausible.

all things considered, it's a great stroke of luck and an incredible situation to be born, raised, and anchored in colorado. it's simultaneously a stroke of evil i wouldn't wish on anyone.

Let's play the hypothetical of being able to work remote and live in any Western state (lower 48) to become a resident in 2024 and beyond.
Would be considering my own hunting as well as opportunities for younger children as they grow up.

Which state would you pick and why?

To clarify, no, I'm not in this situation currently but the wife and I were kicking ideas around on different states we could potentially see ourselves living at in the future.
I told her whichever would be the best for a resident hunter in that state and she wanted to know where that might be.
I'm a non-resident anywhere I apply and have never seen things from the resident side of the equation, so I figured I would throw the question out to get some thoughts.
Appreciate any responses in advance!
If you have kids you should start with education and economic opportunity first and overlay hunting from there.

Kind of like Field of Dreams? If you build it, they will show up?
I used to live in Dyersville, my wife still works in Dyersville. There are 1000s of people that visit the field every year. It was literally a farm with a baseball field in the yard. I haven't been there for a few years since the MLB games and they're supposedly working on redeveloping it.

You apparently have never been to Laramie, this place is a joke.
Laramie is great. Dont get me wrong. I got a nice piece of paper from there a long time ago.

But youre lying to ht if you think that place isnt hipsterific.

You apparently have never been to Laramie, this place is a joke.

this is a very legitimate question: i'm curious how you would rank the relative scale of many of the primary wyoming towns?

i mean, by some standards laramie may indeed be a joke, but would you take cheyenne over it? casper? cody? all things considered like services and amenities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back