Physically disabled son and hunting options

Elliot1987

Hello again everyone! As I wrap up the planning on my hunts this year my thought continually wander to how I am going to plan for my son's future hunts. He is 7 years old and has distal arthrogryposis (I may have spelled that incorrectly) Basically the cartilage in his feet and ankles is like bone. He has undergone surgeries to help with mobility and to correct the deformities. He also has physical therapy 2-3 times per week. He can walk well, but cant physically run or jump and has problems with stability. He also has very little muscle on his lower legs, but has an extremely strong core, back and thighs (his calf muscle development is a result of the arthrogryposis). I want him to experience any forms of hunting he wants, but I also want him to find his limitations on his own. I wont be setting them for him, but I dont want to set him up for failure either. I am using these next 5-7 years to find places I think he could at least handle physically, but at the same time find his limitations. Primary species would be deer and elk. I know he can handle going to eastern montana for deer, so there may be some future in elk hunting there if he can draw a tag. I was also thinking that he may have to get used to late season hunts in the west as animals tend to move lower in elevation making the terrain a little less rugged. I can see future problems with him carrying a heavy pack as well. There is also the issue of finding a good boot for him as his feet still have some deformity and he has more surgeries in his future as he grows, but I will tackle that when it's time. This little guy is my hero and gives me hope every day. I have never heard him complain about his feet or use them as an excuse. I have learned a lot from his attitude and how he sets his mind to do something even when the odds are against him.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this situation? Steps you may take or areas you would consider?
Thanks in advance!

(This is also posted on rokslide)

Where are you at?
In Montana, there is a disabled hunter program.
With the right documentation, the disabled hunter and driver can hunt off or out of ba vehicle and shoot off county roads. I do not know what it entails check it out at our FWP sight.

I think what your doing is the right approach. Granted he is 7 so there will need to be some risk management on your part. But if you going into areas that are reasonably easy to move around you can guage where he is at and he wont be to intimated to try. I have a similar thing going on with my son but instead of physical disability he is autistic. So I do not have any experience with physical disabilitys, but I think using a good amount of risk management on your side considering his age will be step 1. I know in my situation i take a very similar approach to you. Let him find his own limitations and let him decide if he wants to try something. Sometimes its a disaster, sometimes its not. Just be ready for whatever and to be there to pick him back up an get him back on the right track. A little adversity is good for everybody.

We live in MN. Hunting here isnt a huge issue other than thick grass and deep snow, but I know enough about my area on how we can best tackle this. I should have mentioned I am specifically looking out west.

Where are you located?

I also wouldn't rule out antelope hunting... Its VERY fun and the terrain they hang out in can be pretty close to flat at times. Hopefully you both can get out a bunch in the coming years.

I did my first antelope hunt a few years ago and it was a blast and I think he would be able to handle that easily. Thank you for the reminder.

I think what your doing is the right approach. Granted he is 7 so there will need to be some risk management on your part. But if you going into areas that are reasonably easy to move around you can guage where he is at and he wont be to intimated to try. I have a similar thing going on with my son but instead of physical disability he is autistic. So I do not have any experience with physical disabilitys, but I think using a good amount of risk management on your side considering his age will be step 1. I know in my situation i take a very similar approach to you. Let him find his own limitations and let him decide if he wants to try something. Sometimes its a disaster, sometimes its not. Just be ready for whatever and to be there to pick him back up an get him back on the right track. A little adversity is good for everybody.

My nephew is autistic and I know that the problems they encounter are different, but very much the same. I want him to challenge himself, but at the same time not hate it or regret it. I am looking for that fine line called accomplishment lol!

Where are you at?
In Montana, there is a disabled hunter program.
With the right documentation, the disabled hunter and driver can hunt off or out of ba vehicle and shoot off county roads. I do not know what it entails check it out at our FWP sight.

awesome thank your for this!

DO you have 4 wheelers or a UTV? That would get you guys around pretty well and when you see something, simply get out and shoot. Lots of times you can see antelope within 100 yards of the road.

I would give the young man every opportunity to kill a bunch of whitetails in your home state and surrounding states. Very few 7 year olds are physically ready to do serious elk hunting. Let him get to legal age to elk hunt and see how he’s doing. In the mean time, stack up the whitetails.

If your son (or anyone else!) ever needs a bit of inspiration, I highly recommend this book. I sat next to Kyle on a flight one day, and was blown away by him and his story. He gives a lot of credit for his attitude about life to his parents who never saw him or treated him as “handicapped”. I think your approach on letting your son figure out his limits is spot on. If you don’t assume he can’t, he will amaze you with he can. I’ve used this book to inspire my team at work to always maintain a “No Excuses” attitude.

You might look up Todd Craighead. He’s been the host of Outdoor Oklahoma for many years, a weekly outdoors tv show put on by the OK Wildlife Department on PBS. Todd was born with fairly severe arthrogryposis but has made quite a career in the outdoors.

Pretty amazing to see each week how he has learned to adapt to fish, hunt, etc. even with limited use of his hands.

From what I’ve seen he also does quite a bit of work helping get kids with disabilities into the outdoors.

He may be an interesting guy to have a conversation with at some point and have some unique insight for you on your questions. I’m sure I could come up with contact info for him by calling around if you are interested.

I admire your forethought and the effort you’re already applying. Your boy is lucky to have you as his father. I think you two are gonna make a lot of memories together! God bless the both of you!!! (And what about SE AK black bear hunting? Tons of fun. Most of the action happens from the boat!)

I apologize for not keeping up on this post! Time and work have gotten the best of me! Thank you all for the ideas!

You might look up Todd Craighead. He’s been the host of Outdoor Oklahoma for many years, a weekly outdoors tv show put on by the OK Wildlife Department on PBS. Todd was born with fairly severe arthrogryposis but has made quite a career in the outdoors.

Pretty amazing to see each week how he has learned to adapt to fish, hunt, etc. even with limited use of his hands.

From what I’ve seen he also does quite a bit of work helping get kids with disabilities into the outdoors.

He may be an interesting guy to have a conversation with at some point and have some unique insight for you on your questions. I’m sure I could come up with contact info for him by calling around if you are interested.

I would love to have a conversation with him! This sounds exactly like the knowledge I have been looking for. If you don’t mind an email address or phone number would be great!

I admire your forethought and the effort you’re already applying. Your boy is lucky to have you as his father. I think you two are gonna make a lot of memories together! God bless the both of you!!! (And what about SE AK black bear hunting? Tons of fun. Most of the action happens from the boat!)
I had a great teacher in my dad and I can’t imagine where I would be without the outdoor hobbies and knowledge I got from what he taught me. I don’t just want to teach my son, he needs to know for the million reasons, even if it is difficult.

I would love to have a conversation with him! This sounds exactly like the knowledge I have been looking for. If you don’t mind an email address or phone number would be great!

405-521-3855 is the phone number for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation - Information and Education Division which Todd works under. I haven't been able to find a direct email address, but it looks like he has two self-made personal websites/blogs he runs that have a "Contact Me" form. If you search for Todd Craighead on Google, his websites pop right up.

Interesting guy and from what I've seen/heard, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to visit with you.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back