Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Petition To Ban Import Of Game

Side note: I can not believe I wasted an enjoyable cup of coffee reading their entire diatribe of dribble... time not able to be replaced. haha!

I'm not here to speculate on anybody's motivations. But if someone is telling you that this petition calls for banning the interstate transport of legally harvested wild game, you'd be smart to ask em if they've actually read it.
This is based on international import / export. I don't see any comments relating to interstate transport... except Ben Lamb's brief comment - the same as yours. Outside the two of you, no one has commented regarding interstate...

Though hunt in Canada, Africa, South America, etc... this calls for banning of wild game. Quoted portions below.

I'm sure there is somewhat of a legitimate desire by groups to end the wildlife trafficking, and there are some very real issues associated with the importation of live animals outside of their native habitats, especially on animals that are threatened or endangered, add on top of those issues the wet markets and disease transfer, and there is a significant issue that needs to be dealt with.

Agree.. I see where they are attempting to enhance Lacey Act's regulations on the illegal import/export of black market activity. The problem and it's a glaring problem within their attempt - they either intentionally or unintentionally don't take into account the vast array of valuable import/export - i.e. hunting, science <for experiments> (I'm sure their intentional on the import for science experiments - it fits their overall agenda.)

The challenge they are naïve when it comes to the technical aspects of CITES, LACEY, etc... They intentionally want to eliminate discretion on behalf of our Customs and Border Protection Officers. If someone brings some item the bought or found - The Center for Biological Bullchit are petitioning to change the CFR - Officer related, "may" to "shall"... thus a simple mistake / other simple reasons an Officer, from his/her interview finds of the traveler, The Center for Biological Bullchit are petitioning to force Customs Officers to slam LACEY Act violations, etc. on that traveler. There are occasions where discretion is a MUST and an essential purpose our laws have written in "May" vs "Shall".
.Given the players here, I'm sure they would be fine with the banning of trophy hunt hides, heads, etc from other nations and so their ability to be an impartial and thoughtful leader on this is suspect.
Agree.

CBD may or may not intentionally have their focus on hunters returning from foreign countries... agree or disagree, they are most definitely not comprehending the vastness of their reach within this petition.

Aside from accurately identifying the eco-extremist organizations with their proper name (placed in italics within the first quoted paragraph), every portion beyond that correction is as stated in their bullchit petition.

"...the Center for Biological Bullchit and the Natural Resources Bullchit Council submit this petition to the Department of the Interior and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (“FWS” or “the Service”) to ban import and export of wild mammals and birds and institute a comprehensive chain-of-custody and tracing system for all imports and exports of all wildlife and plants."

"While dead animals and animal parts present a lesser risk of direct disease transmission, the process of capturing and killing wildlife to create wildlife parts and products maintains the overall risk associated with live animal trade... Thus, as a major consumer of dead wild animals and wild animal parts, the United States shifts the risk of disease emergence to other countries where wildlife is collected, transported, slaughtered, and processed into goods before export."

"...and works in coordination with Customs and Border Patrol, it should expand upon the Service’s existing regulatory authorities to create the necessary tracing system to fully track wildlife, parts, and products to help prevent future pandemics."

<input added>: Their simple inaccuracy is a viral case within their entire attempt to petition... It's CBP: "Customs and Border Protection">

"PROPOSED REGULATORY CHANGES
1. Ban on Import of All Wild Mammals and Birds
In order to both reduce the risk of future pandemics and address the biodiversity crisis, we petition the Service to use its authority under the Lacey Act as well as its ESA and CITES authorities to ban imports of all wild mammals and birds and products"

"Code of Federal Regulations,
Part 16). Deletions are marked with strikeout and additions are indicated with underlining:
§ 16.11 Importation of live wild mammals and their parts. (a) The importation, transportation, or acquisition is prohibited of all wild mammals including live specimens and any p
art, product, egg, or offspring thereof"

"§ 16.12 Importation of live wild birds or their eggs. (a) The importation, transportation, or acquisition is prohibited of all wild birds including any live specimen, or egg, part, product, or offspring but excluding psittacine birds"

Side note: I can not believe I wasted an enjoyable cup of coffee reading their entire diatribe of dribble... time not able to be replaced. haha!

This is based on international import / export. I don't see any comments relating to interstate transport... except Ben Lamb's brief comment - the same as yours. Outside the two of you, no one has commented regarding interstate...

Am I taking crazy pills or was the thread started with a shared link to an article titled:

Extremists Petition Biden Admin to Ban All Import, Interstate Transport of Game?​

If I am, then my apologies. Carry on.

Am I taking crazy pills or was the thread started with a shared link to an article titled:

Extremists Petition Biden Admin to Ban All Import, Interstate Transport of Game?​

061C18BA-ECE4-4E2D-9776-E4D37EC0B037.jpeg

The title for THIS thread does not specify nor has anyone referred to such in this thread.

I see what you are saying. that is ridiculous and another organization's grab at boosting their pom pom club's cheers and boosting their membership revenue... Tribalism at it's finest.

My apologies. I went right to the meat and potatoes of the subject matter from the title of this thread and was wondering where the heck you came up with interstate as that chatter here has showed nothing related to such.

The fact is The Center for Biological Bullchit is conjuring up one heck of a wild spin within their Petition To Ban Import Of Game - The title of this thread.

Any thought on their petition? I wasted my time reading it and quoting the in's and out's. My understanding, you read this thread as well. Again, I never viewed their hyped title... I go to the meat and potatoes of the issue. You're right though, no doubt about it. :)

My thoughts on the petition are that it has been sent to a US Fish and Wildlife Service that does not have a confirmed director, or even a nominee. The acting principle is the former director of Montana's state agency. The last director appointed by a Democrat POTUS and confirmed by the Senate was Dan Ashe, who currently heads the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Seems their life would get harder if this petition went through. I've been wrong before, but it appears an uphill climb to get these rules proposed, much less through a whole APA rule making.

I got an action alert from one conservation organization that repeated the Alliance's untruthful accusations of regular folks not being able to bring ducks or chukars across state lines if this petition is adopted. Can't remember the last alert I got from this org, but it damn sure wasn't about the Recovering America's Wildlife Act, or the Great American Outdoors Act, or any of the Clean Water Act listening sessions that are currently happening to inform what kinds of wetlands get protected. But folks are for dang sure gonna make money hyperventilating about the antis while the iron is hot, while the West burns, invasives are out-competing natives from coast to coast, and despite the Rona's best efforts, most Americans' exposure to wildlife comes from the latest bison goring a tourist tik tok.

My thoughts on the petition are that it is a massive distraction. But the answer you're looking for is that, yeah, I think the proposed rules are pretty dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back