Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pet Insurance?

When it comes to any sort of insurance, it’s almost always better to self-insure, if you can afford it. An exception is when you get a good deal on group insurance in some cases. My wife and I have saved enough to the point we can comfortably write a $7500 check for an unexpected expense. We carry life, health, disability, dental, auto, and home insurance, because in those instances an emergency can far exceed $$ we could shell out of pocket. We also have low premium, high deductible plans to save money in the long run. Any other kind of insurance or warranty we skip because when we look at the premiums for all those plans combined over the course of our lifetimes, we are money ahead on just self-insuring.

my big fear was snake bites in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona this past two months. Especially the west she gets to investigating.

Hell, sand burrs did a number on her, she got skittish to not even leave the side walk. You could tell the way her nose was working why.

my big fear was snake bites in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona this past two months. Especially the west she gets to investigating.

Hell, sand burrs did a number on her, she got skittish to not even leave the side walk. You could tell the way her nose was working why.
The Goatheads have been horrid this year - they have taught our adventurous Airedale to stay on the sidewalk. Now that the snakes are hid out for the winter, we use the trails around they canyon - there, it's prickly pear and cholla, better than the cussed goatheads.

I'm going to chime in even tho I don't hunt my pup, tho he is game crazy. He's been in a fight with a pitt, and he's had some issues with gastroenteritis this year. The dog fight spurred my to get insurance, bc had the other owner not paid for it the bill would have been $1000. My insurance covers emergency visits at 90% after a $250 deductible (most expensive). I just put in my first claims and they reimbursed me. I pay yearly so i get a discount, about $650/ yr.

I'm going to chime in even tho I don't hunt my pup, tho he is game crazy. He's been in a fight with a pitt, and he's had some issues with gastroenteritis this year. The dog fight spurred my to get insurance, bc had the other owner not paid for it the bill would have been $1000. My insurance covers emergency visits at 90% after a $250 deductible (most expensive). I just put in my first claims and they reimbursed me. I pay yearly so i get a discount, about $650/ yr.
So that's over $6500 for the 10-year life of a working dog, and a $250 deductible every year for the first vet bill.
For 2 dogs, its more than my house + car insurance!

So that's over $6500 for the 10-year life of a working dog, and a $250 deductible every year for the first vet bill.
For 2 dogs, its more than my house + car insurance!
Yes. I didn’t get insurance until he was 3, and once I build my emergency fund back up I’ll likely back down on the insurance.

Back