Chemo with dogs

Jamen

So my dog had a mammary tumor removed here a couple weeks ago. It came back as cancer... total bummer and I feel like a bad pet owner that I let her down. She had that tumor for a little over year. At the time the vet said keep an eye on it and make sure nothing changes its not of major concer at the time. Was going to wait until after pheasant season closed in January to get it removed. A little before Christmas she took a turn over the weekend the tumor had grown 3 times the size it was. Got her into the vet right away monday and they agreed it should come out. All the vets were booked up for a few weeks to do surgery. She finally stabilized and was back to her almost normal self that week.

Fast forward tumor comes out they took another mammary gland out as well. My vet said often times this cancer can spread to their lungs. After doing research online I got discouraged about what lung cancer and how quickly dogs go after that. We will be getting chest xrays here in a couple weeks just so we know what to expect.

My question is has anyone had their dog go through chemo or radiation before? She will be 10 in July has the energy of a 1.5 year old lab. I hear alot of mixed reviews about it. I'm hoping for the best and they got it all out, but prepping for the worst so i have a game plan going in. Some people say they would never have their pet go through those treatments after they did it.

Thanks in advance and could use any good vibes and prayers you guys got!

I'm absolutely gutted for you... so sorry.

I'm not sure, what I would do in your shoes, but I think I would ask the prognosis. If it was early and there was an expectation that it would get everything, maybe?

I watched my dad and my aunt die of cancer and endure chemo at stage 4. If I get metastatic (stage 4 cancer) I 100% do not want chemo, would absolutely not make that call for my dog.

So my dog had a mammary tumor removed here a couple weeks ago. It came back as cancer... total bummer and I feel like a bad pet owner that I let her down. She had that tumor for a little over year. At the time the vet said keep an eye on it and make sure nothing changes its not of major concer at the time. Was going to wait until after pheasant season closed in January to get it removed. A little before Christmas she took a turn over the weekend the tumor had grown 3 times the size it was. Got her into the vet right away monday and they agreed it should come out. All the vets were booked up for a few weeks to do surgery. She finally stabilized and was back to her almost normal self that week.

Fast forward tumor comes out they took another mammary gland out as well. My vet said often times this cancer can spread to their lungs. After doing research online I got discouraged about what lung cancer and how quickly dogs go after that. We will be getting chest xrays here in a couple weeks just so we know what to expect.

My question is has anyone had their dog go through chemo or radiation before? She will be 10 in July has the energy of a 1.5 year old lab. I hear alot of mixed reviews about it. I'm hoping for the best and they got it all out, but prepping for the worst so i have a game plan going in. Some people say they would never have their pet go through those treatments after they did it.

Eight years ago my Lab Pearl went through chemo for glioma brain cancer. Last I knew she is still the only dog treated at U of MN vet school to recover 100%. The neurologist said that during his 22 years of practice he had three other patients survive that cancer but not in good shape. Keep in mind that Pearl couldn't stand on her own to poop when I took her down there. She was eight and lived another year and a half before unrelated progressive kidney disease took her. Her partner Opal contracted misdiagnosed mast cell cancer at age eleven. Started her on chemo but she didn't last long.

Dog chemo is not like the human variety. For my dogs it was one pill a month ($600 each). ALWAYS make sure the vet does bloodwork BEFORE giving the monthly dose. The same dipshit who later misdiagnosed Opal as having "an infected hair" didn't check Pearl's blood count until after she gave her a monthly chemo dose. Damn near killed that dog. Anyway, the treatment side effects are nothing like human chemo. No hair loss and usually any nausea or discomfort is brief. Pearl could be "off" for a couple of days after her pill. Mostly fatigue it seemed.

Eight years ago my Lab Pearl went through chemo for glioma brain cancer. Last I knew she is still the only dog treated at U of MN vet school to recover 100%. The neurologist said that during his 22 years of practice he had three other patients survive that cancer but not in good shape. Keep in mind that Pearl couldn't stand on her own to poop when I took her down there. She was eight and lived another year and a half before unrelated progressive kidney disease took her. Her partner Opal contracted misdiagnosed mast cell cancer at age eleven. Started her on chemo but she didn't last long.

Dog chemo is not like the human variety. For my dogs it was one pill a month ($600 each). ALWAYS make sure the vet does bloodwork BEFORE giving the monthly dose. The same dipshit who later misdiagnosed Opal as having "an infected hair" didn't check Pearl's blood count until after she gave her a monthly chemo dose. Damn near killed that dog. Anyway, the treatment side effects are nothing like human chemo. No hair loss and usually any nausea or discomfort is brief. Pearl could be "off" for a couple of days after her pill. Mostly fatigue it seemed.
I appreciate the response, we will find out here in the near future if it had moved. I'm not an expert on medical things her blood work they took when she had surgery all came back great. Unsure if that is an indicator or not if cancer moves. How long was pearl on chemo for if I may ask?

Two Fridays ago, my wife and I came home after work to dog vomit through out the house and a sick dog. Wiser was 11.
I called the vet and he recommended monitor until morning, I stayed up all night with him.
Saturday morning we took him in and vet said he need surgery, he died on the table.
Maybe if I had taken him in Friday night?
Been awful around here.
I sympathize with your every word..,

Two Fridays ago, my wife and I came home after work to dog vomit through out the house and a sick dog. Wiser was 11.
I called the vet and he recommended monitor until morning, I stayed up all night with him.
Saturday morning we took him in and vet said he need surgery, he died on the table.
Maybe if I had taken him in Friday night?
Been awful around here.
I sympathize with your every word..,
I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll be thinking of your family.

Thanks everyone for the support but I was not trying to hijack Jamen’s thread.
I think most of us replay what could have or should have been done different for our best friends but in the end it is out of our control.

I'm so sorry you and your pup are going thru this. My dad's boxer ended up developing lymphoma (boxers tend to get really sick really fast at the end). He did end up putting her thru a round of radiation, and she was like a puppy again for a couple months. But her cancer was too aggressive and he ended up having to put her to sleep. I think it depends on how aggressive it is and how far its progressed when you start treatment. It's also really expensive. I hope your pup gets better, and good luck with everything.

Thanks everyone for the support but I was not trying to hijack Jamen’s thread.
I think most of us replay what could have or should have been done different for our best friends but in the end it is out of our control.
You didn't hijack it. It is tough to really know what dogs or most animals are actually feeling. They always have an upbeat attitude. I just got to remember everything happens for a reason good or bad.

Our lab was diagnosed with Lymphoma on his third birthday. Did chemo at the Universite of Minnesota. They were outstanding. However, they were clear that the odds weren’t in our favor. They weren’t. We had to put him down a couple days after his 4th birthday. The chemo was hell on him and the family. Very expensive too. Probably bought him 6 months at best. That sis my unfortunate expereince. best of luck!

Our lab was diagnosed with Lymphoma on his third birthday. Did chemo at the Universite of Minnesota. They were outstanding. However, they were clear that the odds weren’t in our favor. They weren’t. We had to put him down a couple days after his 4th birthday. The chemo was hell on him and the family. Very expensive too. Probably bought him 6 months at best. That sis my unfortunate expereince. best of luck!
i am really sorry to hear that. I do appreciate you sharing your story though.

So, I had a 10.5 year lab that had a huge tumor on his spleen. Vet removed it, it was cancer and said it is usually a 2-4 month survival time and Chemo can extend his time. I opted not to do the chemo. He lived to be 12 and was as normal as a 12 year old lab can be until one day he got wobbly in his hind legs. back to vet, got some meds, next day he had no rear leg function at all. I was crushed. I had him put down that day. No real perfect diagnosis why that happened. I am just throwing this out because he made it around 15 months after his Tumor was removed and lived to be what you hope any large breed will make it to. Hard decision but I opted not to put him through the Chemo and my pocketbook for a dog that was already a senior. Good luck, sorry to hear.

Just got back from the vet after getting chest xrays to see if the cancer mover to her lungs. Xrays came back with nothing!! Big sigh of relief for now!! Dr. Said there is still a chance it can move there if the cancer comes back. There were a few bumpy spots along the incision the Dr. Wasn't sure if it was scar tissue or regrowth. I will continue to monitor it!

But for today we have great news!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1831385967.jpg
    Snapchat-1831385967.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I appreciate the response, we will find out here in the near future if it had moved. I'm not an expert on medical things her blood work they took when she had surgery all came back great. Unsure if that is an indicator or not if cancer moves. How long was pearl on chemo for if I may ask?
First diagnosed in April as I recall. I'm pretty sure the last treatment was after Christmas. She didn't go on chemo till June. I think there were other factors involved in her recovery. The onset was very sudden. One morning she simply lost her balance. Several local vets misdiagnosed until I could get her to U of MN for MRI which showed a large brain tumor. The neurologist said to take her home and wait till it was time. At home I slept with her on living room floor because vertigo spooked her on anything soft. The dog beds were stacked under the window and my other Lab Opal was sleeping on them. I prayed hard for old Pearl after she finally nodded off. In the middle of the night I heard her scratching at the dog beds. I pulled one out and she laid down. That's odd. The dogs know not to wake me in the morning but as soon as I move I'm legal game and they're all over me to go out or get fed. The following morning after daybreak I could hear all three of them standing over me. I opened my eyes and there was Pearl standing erect and unsupported. What the ... "Pearl, are you ready to eat." She scampered off into the kitchen like nothing was wrong. Looking closely I could see her head still cocked very slightly to the left but that disappeared just after noon. The next morning I called the neurologist. "It's just the steroids temporarily reducing the tumor. You'll see a regression when you reduce the dosage." Well, the dosage was reduced a third, then half of that, then stopped. No change. So about a month later I phoned again. "Sometimes owners see things through rose colored glasses. You know she's going to die." Someone needs to tell her. She's playing tug of war with the Brittany in the back yard. "Really? Guess we may as well start chemo and give her a fighting chance." In October before leaving to hunt birds in Montana I took her back down for another MRI. When the neurosurgeon came out to the waiting room, he asked where's Pearl. "Right here." No, that's Opal. "Uh, no. Pearl, sit pretty!" And she sits up on her hind legs begging like a seal for a sardine. Keep in mind this is a dog that was falling over in her poop last time he saw her. The MRI showed three tiny spots of cancer. The tumor was all but gone! He was stunned. I asked him what we did right that made a difference. He didn't know. "So nothing is gained from this?" "Wrong! Now I can tell people there was this dog Pearl that recovered 100%" Nothing is more valuable than scientific proof that supports hope. He extended her chemo to end of the year.

I think you misunderstood about blood test. Once your dog starts chemo ALWAYS make sure a blood test is done BEFORE the pill is given. The test is not checking for cancer but rather liver damage or other side effects from chemo treatments. They need to ensure the dog is healthy enough to take the next dosage. Sometimes the treatment has to be delayed a week or two. Dog chemo is not as brutal as human variety but it's still hard on the animal.

Last edited:
How wonderful to have great news. We had an animal with a brain pituitary tumor, and the medicine made him very sick. When you treat people, they know what's coming and can make a rational decision; all animals know is they are sick. I would never prolong things again.

Just got back from the vet after getting chest xrays to see if the cancer mover to her lungs. Xrays came back with nothing!! Big sigh of relief for now!! Dr. Said there is still a chance it can move there if the cancer comes back. There were a few bumpy spots along the incision the Dr. Wasn't sure if it was scar tissue or regrowth. I will continue to monitor it!

But for today we have great news!
i would be 1/2 tempted to have one of the lumpy spots biopsied just for a bit more peace of mind.

on the chemo end of things if others are in the same boat i think it's a bit like humans where each one reacts differently. i know one dog that had it and has been 1 if not 2 years happy, hiking again, just occasional visit to oncologist to double check everything. some just don't handle it well so they're farther ahead to not go through the misery depending on how bad they act and how bad the cancer is.

glad you've got good new and a happy dog

My wife is a radation tech at an animal oncology center, feel free to PM any questions and I’ll ask her and if don’t know she can ask her friend who’s one of the vets.

I had a yellow lab that looked a lot like yours who was diagnosed with cancer in the fall of 2018. She had been very healthy up to that point, so I pursued the chemo treatments after her splenectomy.

Long story short, she only ended up making it about a month and a half before the cancer had spread too far and she had to be out down. Her body did not respond well to the chemo treatments so I had to stop part way through and just let things take their course. All in, the surgery, chemo, medications etc… cost about $2,500.

My sister also had a dog that had cancer twice- was cured of lymphoma only to develop bone cancer down the line.

It’s a really tough call; I’ll probably always be the type of person who wants to try every reasonable option, and it can be hard to recognize when your got to the when you’re only continuing on with things for yourself and not the dog.

Glad to hear you got good news though. Labs are the best.

Back