Persistence Pays Off: A Father and Son Sheep Hunt

AggieHunter

I wanted to share this write up my dad and I worked on for our Colorado Ewe hunt this past fall. It would essentially be our first DIY western hunt and it was definitely a big introduction to what hunting is like after recently moving from Texas. A little background is that we were hunting probably one of the most rugged units in Colorado and faced many steep climbs. The majority of our days were spent sitting right above treeline glassing the huge basins around us, and then two of the days I took off solo to hike up the 13,200ft ridge and hunt the backside. All this work was definitely worth it in the end. I also want to thank Randy for all of his skills videos especially the gutless method as I played that video through my mind while I was struggling to quarter a sheep on the side of a cliff holding it from falling in one hand and a knife in the other. The main point we both took away from all of is to never give up and that persistence will pay off if you put in the work. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• Bighorn Sheep Hunt 2019 PDF.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Very cool. Congrats Kody! That is some great perseverance at that age!

Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt. It was great that you were able to share the experience with your dad. Congrats!

Great story and great sheep. Congrats to both of you. You are sheep hunters. I too have done a ewe hunt and thought it was a great use of a tag and points.

Very cool after action .pdf write-up! Great adventure and one that I'm sure will stay with you throughout life! Some tough hunting!

Grats! Thanks for sharing.

Great story and great sheep. Congrats to both of you. You are sheep hunters. I too have done a ewe hunt and thought it was a great use of a tag and points.

I hope to do another ewe hunt somewhere soon as I know begin the waiting game for a ram tag across the western states!

Great story thanks for sharing. Every time there was a comment about splitting up, I got nervous about a turn for the worse. I’ve had some bad experiences. So I’m always jumpy when we split up in a new area. It sounds like you both have a long hunting career in front of you. Keep up the good work!

Great story thanks for sharing. Every time there was a comment about splitting up, I got nervous about a turn for the worse. I’ve had some bad experiences. So I’m always jumpy when we split up in a new area. It sounds like you both have a long hunting career in front of you. Keep up the good work!

It didn't help when the radio connection was spotty and batteries kept dying. I definitely learned there are some very sketchy places in sheep country when I was trying to move along ridgelines finding myself next to an 800-1000ft drop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back