Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Persistence Hunting

So I’ve had a variation of this situation play out with my first pronghorn this fall during archery season. Long story short I made a poor shot that passed through on the lower rear quarters and then put one right in the upper shoulder blade - both were non-lethal. I ran the antelope down over the course of 2.1 miles until it made a mistake and tried to climb a hill to which I closed the distance in my final sprint.

I would not recommend this but my persistence ultimately paid off in this case.

I can see this resulting in new regulations stating “it is illegal to run while in pursuit of pronghorn“ 😂😂😂...

There will be a whole bunch of underaged lifeguards taking shifts with whistles to blow when they identify a hunter running. With a loud shrill they will yell “walk!”

From the article: "(Trophies have never really been his thing; he’s always been a meat hunter at heart.)"

So forget the ethics argument for a moment...If the above is true and he's a "meat hunter" why run the thing to exhaustion and ruin the meat? Unless...he's a crappy cook too and doesn't care what it tastes like. If he's the type who likes to eat Power Gels on a regular basis maybe he has no idea what good meat tastes like anyway?

My initial reaction was one of mild disgust. Doesn't seem too different than letting a pack of dogs chase down an antelope. But after thinking about it a bit more, I could probably be open to it. I don't like the idea of stressing an animal that long, but than again we chase mnt lions, bears, deer and pigs with dogs, all of which I am fine with. It reminds me of stories I have read of some of the early European settlers in Africa chasing lions on horseback. I doubt that that is legal any where today, but I would enjoy trying it.

As a want-a-be runner I am full of respect for someone who gets second at western states. And if he wants to try run down an antelope then good on him, but a quick clean kill is my preference.

Last edited:
What makes me think, even if he succeeds, he will donate it to a food bank;)

I'm betting he will never do it, but he might do himself some permanent injury trying, I could understand running to the pub, but not this game.

Cheers

Richard

This discussion also made me think of the Man Against Horse race. Here's a podcast for those who would rather listen than read (or in addition to).
I couldn’t remember if I’d heard this on radio lab or trail runner nation.
Thanks for sharing 👍

I’m going to practice on trans-species ungulates before I try to chase down North America’s fastest land mammal.
I know a few people that thought they could catch up to elk. Most fail and the other got lucky that the elk bedded down where they could find them.

I am thinking the most of the animals that we can run down are animals that we don't want to be in close quarters with when they are tired and pissed off. Say an old bull bison or a bear.

Last edited:
hmmmm, except whenever that other consumptive group pushes into your domain. Now they are the bad guys.

what the hell are you even talking about?

don’t cherry pick posts out of context because you’ve got a misappropriated problem with words that upset you

you’re talking to a guy that has done long distance trails races, plenty of climbing, lots of bouldering, owns more north face than Sitka, goes peak bagging, goes backpacking, and does pretty much all of that stuff more than I go hunting. What am I my own worst enemy?

The whole thing seems like silly. I doubt the antelope in this guy’s life find his “hunt” very challenging to escape from. I know the antelope I hunt hear a stick snap and are instantly in another county.

I don’t feel that bad for the antelope.
I have compassion, I don’t want animals to suffer, but it seems like they’re used to it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back