Perfect magnification ?

I usually use a 4-12. Been wanting a decent 4-16, but i can totally see where the 3-15 would be popular!

I had a 6-18 that came with my Rem Mag when purchased. Took deer hunting that first year. Sitting, overlooking a field, had 2 does run up and stop behind me at 20ft.
Put the gun up & set on 6 power all i could see was brown!
Sold that scope right quick!

3-15. Wide field of view on the low end, more than enough magnification for any hunting scenario I have ever encountered on the high end. I’ve shot steel prairie dogs at a friends range at 1300 yds. 15x was plenty.

I usually use a 4-12. Been wanting a decent 4-16, but i can totally see where the 3-15 would be popular!

I had a 6-18 that came with my Rem Mag when purchased. Took deer hunting that first year. Sitting, overlooking a field, had 2 does run up and stop behind me at 20ft.
Put the gun up & set on 6 power all i could see was brown!
Sold that scope right quick!

My buddy wanted a new scope for a hunt out west. The outfitter said to be prepared to shoot past 200 yards. Against my advice, he put a 6-18 on his rifle. It lasted one season, now that rifle sports the same VX5HD 3-15 that I bought.....:censored:

3x9 has served me well for whitetails in Wisconsin and I leave that scope on 5x to start the hunt on any given day and rarely make an adjustment. Hunting antelope in Wyoming I use 4x12 and start the day with that scope at 9x. A range of magnification is helpful, of course, but what magnification are you guys using when you pull the trigger?
Usually I hunt on 7x. Most of the deer I have shot have been on 7x. Unless You count the ones I shot in the big timber on 4x Or farm fields on 10. Oh boy now Im confused.

One of the issues i have to consider is my states antler requirements.
Need 3 up on one side or 2 up plus brow tine, depending upon where you are hunting.
On a distant deer ( i like to hunt on the gas lines that go for miles) i may be able to spot it, & tell it's a buck through the binos, but to make sure it's legal i often need more magnification.
My binos are 8X32.

im just going to stick with my 4x16x44 diamondback just get it perfect focus

I like the 3-9x40 range but officially have more 3.5-10x40’s. I group them in the same as there isn’t enough difference. I like that range for the kind of hunting I do. But do have a nice 2.5-8x36 on a nice lightweight .243 that goes perfectly together.

I have both 3x9 and 4.5 x 14, the 3x9 is a great scope, excellent to 300 yards. Much prefer the 4.5 x 14 if I have to take a shot out to 400.

My choice is 3-15, I will be taking a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 to the next in the Colorado 1st rifle season.
Me too! But a leupold 3-15 here. Binos and spotter are vortex.......

If nothing else, first rifle season should look nice through all this glass! Good luck.

I think what is perfect depends on who you are. My hunting rifles have 3-9x, 2-7x and 1-4x. Oh and a 2 3/4x fixed I've used since about 1971. That 2 3/4x has been my favorite all those years. Gave the rifle to my son and he got a 3-9x and I got the 2 3/4x back and now it's on my 30-06 for an elk rifle.

My choice is 3-15, I will be taking a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15 to the next in the Colorado 1st rifle season.
I’ve got a 1.5-8 Razor HD LH on my WI whitetail rifle, a 2-10 Razor HD LHs on my “anywhere and everywhere” 30-06, and a 3-15 Razor HD LH on my 300 WM for out west. Awesome scopes! I personally really like the G4 BDC reticle.

Ive recently decided that i like scopes with 1x magnification. Most recent one i got is a zeiss victory v8 1-8x30. If i was made out of money id slap one on every rifle i own. Wish somebody would make that kind of scope non illuminated to cut weight and cost back though. I think theyre great for hunting. Just looking through with both eyes open for close range stuff is killer, instant target acquisition. I can also see the 1x being awesome for followup shots on running critters, say a guy calls in multiple yotes or wolves.
Vortex makes a 1-10 scope, but i dont like the reticle. Most 1-? Scopes have obnoxious reticles it seems, and are generally 24mm objective. The zeiss 1-8 has a nice clean reticke and 30mm obj. Now if it just wasnt so damned expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back