Caribou Gear Tarp

Perfect magnification ?

wheels

just curious thloughts on the best magnification for a rifle scope

I like the 4-12 or 4-14 but I only plan on taking hunting shots to 300 yards, though I'd like to get myself able to take shots out too 400 incase of some mega animals I can't get closer to.
But I think that 4-12 or 4-14 is ideal. I mean many people have taken many animals with single powered scopes.

just curious thloughts on the best magnification for a rifle scope
3x9 has served me well for whitetails in Wisconsin and I leave that scope on 5x to start the hunt on any given day and rarely make an adjustment. Hunting antelope in Wyoming I use 4x12 and start the day with that scope at 9x. A range of magnification is helpful, of course, but what magnification are you guys using when you pull the trigger?

300 yards a good 3-9 will get the job done just fine.
Stretch that out to 500 yards, and while that same 3-9 will work, i prefer more magnification. 4-12, or 4-16.
The bigger issue is optics quality.
A really good 3-9 is going to beat out a so-so 4-12.

The limiting factor at +300 yards is your ability to call the wind. Dead calm day of maybe 3-5 mph, i might take the 500 yard shot. Anything beyond that, and i'd pass.

I've had opportunity at 550 yards, dead calm wind conditions, and while confident i could do a good shot, decided to close the distance.

• 3-9 will get you quality for the lowest cost.
  • 2-10 is awesome but a bit more expensive, usually
  • 3-15 I think is most versatile but highest cost for quality

My fav so far is a 3-27x. People all over will claim that there isn't anything they can't do with their fixed 6x and I agree there isn't much a guy NEEDS beyond that - however, when looking over animals partially hidden in cover or at great distance, the 27 power comes in really handy. being able to close distance at the ready in 3x or to be proned out for a long shot at 27x gives alot of versatility.

In my opinion/experience, the low end will be more important more often than the high end

My primary for 20 years has been a 4.5-14. I have never thought I needed more on the high end, but often wished I could crank it below 4.5.

I got a 3-15 this year and am VERY happy with it so far.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back