Perfect Chukar Gun

I like my Remington 1100 LT-20. Sometimes though, I do wish for a 12 guage, when I'm packin' the 20. But, I think the 20 will knock 'em down about as far as I'm capable of hitting them, so really it's not much of a handicap, and the shells are lighter so I can carry more of them! :D I used my 12 gauge over/under once, but 2 shots just isn't enough, there's almost always a straggler that gets up right in my face, after the first 2 shots, and I'm standing there with an empty gun. So whatever you do, don't consider anything but a pump or an auto.

No complaints using my Beretta 390 12 guage auto.

Use whatever you can hit with. Plan on banging it up.

I'm kind of any the process of that perfect upland gun. My possibles/wish list include a Beretta 391 20 gauge synthetic or maybe a lightweight Browning or Beretta 20 gauge over and under. Reasons being light weight on all of them and the synthetic on the 391 so the scratches won't bug me as much.

I've shot my Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 guage at nearly everything. I can't say that I hit much but I use it on birds from quail to turkeys. Growing up I shot my old man's 20 guage Charles Daly side by side but like the fact that now I can and have access to more shots in the pump.

Sorry, 12 ga. is best. Much better patterns.

Not saying it's not the "best," Ithaca, I just like my old 1100 20 gauge that I got for Christmas when I was 11 (27 years ago.) I'll use any excuse to shoot birds with that old gun, even if it means lying to myself and telling myself the 20 is as good as a 12, and maybe even better! :D

I have been looking at a few guns and been trying to decide.

I have been looking at Remington 11-87, 1100 Sporting, Beretta 391, Franchi Raptor.

Do most people find semi is the way to go for chukar?

Lastly the gauge has been a big topic. Seems it is a 50/50 split. Maybe more lean 20 that I have talked to.

Yes, definitely go with an automatic if you're buying a gun strictly for chukar. I like using a 20 but like Ithaca says, the 12 is better. Remington or Beretta would be good. I wouldn't recomend Franchi because it could be hard get parts/service. (I've got one) Just handle all the options and pick the one that feels best to you.

I'd shy away from the 11-87. My friend has one that is in the shop for the 4th or 5th time. It functions great as a single shot and sometimes it works like an auto loader should right after it's been cleaned really well. Seems to be the same story from others that have that model. Plus the 11-87 weighs a ton.

If you need an auto I'd go for the Beretta or maybe an 1100. My preference has always been a pump, I have an Ithaca 37 in 20 ga and a couple of trusty 870's in 12 ga that handle a chukar really well.

I have a Winchester pump right now. I would rather use an auto or over-under. I hadn't heard anything bad about the 11-87 yet. Figures. I like 1100 sporting better anyway.

Yeah I thought about them as well. What about Benelli M1? I owned a SBE a 5 years back and it was the most reliable gun I owned.

Can't say a bad word about my Beretta...20 year old 303A that has been used on/as everything from chukar, dove, geese, to a boat oar on a few occassions....my old Wingmaster 870 the same. Both vintage AND soilid!

Having owned remington and beretta autos the berettas are a world better. Easier to clean, function better dirty, better balanced, etc. The rems are a fine gun, but the berattas are better.

best thing I can say about the type of shotgun is find something you shoot well..different guns fit different people...I'm really fond of my stoeger o/u, and the sxs from the same company seems to build in a bit more lead, that I need, if you need more than two shots, seems like the autoloaders are pretty popular...I mostly shoot ducks so I pull the 12 gauge card.

I am coming to the conclusoin I just need to shoot some. But before I get there, I want to make sure the list of candidates are sound and not piles of junk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back