Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pedestal Mount

CForest

Long story short I am thinking of having my Pronghorn from this year mounted. I have quite a few deer shoulder mounts done, and multiple euro mounts of deer, elk and antelope so space is becoming limited. Looking around I really am liking the pedestal style mounts. Curious what these are like when they get into the house??? Do you think they take up more or less space??? Pronghorn in general should take up less room but just looking at options. Would love to see some more pics of pedestal mounts especially in the house. Most that I have seen are sitting outside for photoshoot at the taxidermist office. Also dealing with 7'6" to 8" ceilings. Will attach some pics for fun, much bigger goat than I thought I would ever get to harvest here at home. And the jalapeno sticks are gonna be tasty!!

Attachments

• ph1.jpg
    ph1.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 167
  • ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 163
  • ph3.jpg
    ph3.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 156
  • ph4.jpg
    ph4.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 158
I don’t have an antelope pedestal, but I did a mule deer pedestal. Tell your taxidermist about your ceiling heights they will be able to work with that, the one I used took my ceiling heights and worked with their pedestal maker to make it work. I do think they take up more room just because instead of hanging it on the wall you have the pedestal taking it up on the floor. But the thing with pedestals is if you wanna move the mount from one room to the next your not punching holes in every room in the house.

You can get it done as a wall mount pedestal and stick it in a corner. Antelope would be great for that. Horns are not too high or wide so you should be able to get it up out of the way. Corners are usually wasted space anyway. Antelope should fit nicely in a corner.

I have a kudu coming with cape that I want to have my daughter pedestal mount. That one will challenge space limitations! Not going in a corner. Here is a wall mount pedestal she did of one of my mule deer. His cowlicks were a little weird unfortunately.
If the elk rack hadn't been in the way this one would have been mounted in the corner. I built the mounting system for it. I'm sure your taxidermist could handle it. If not PM me and I'll help. 16655810379983786322212136322815.jpg20220830_102718.jpg
And here is a shoulder mount antelope she did as a class project. They don't take up a lot of space. However, they are such a pretty thing I would definitely go with a pedestal wall mount to show off more of it.16655813117123498654708659450505.jpg
You could go with a sneak pose and save even more space by mounting it higher but I don't think it would be necessary with that buck. I don't care much for that pose. The muley pedestal is semi-sneak as I recall.

Last edited:
Helluva antelope. I’ll never do another pedestal. Take up way too much room.
CForest, Congrats on a great looking antelope!

When I ran out of wall space for my mounts, I started doing pedestal mounts. I now have 12 floor pedestal mounts, and I think that they are all great.

This is not one of mine. It was on display a few years ago at the 30th B&C Big Game Awards Ceremony at the Bass Pro Wonders of Wildlife Museum.
VORVdgSl.jpg

Here's my best B&C Caribou at that same ceremony, and where I have it at home.
O4mYiWzl.jpg
dIAiDYJl.jpg

And three of my other floor pedestal mounts that fit nicely in front of a window.
r4kv6cQl.jpg

Last edited:
Love Pedestal mounts. Here is my Archery, antelope and deer pedestal mounts. Easy to move around. I made the antelope pedestal out of old barn wood and creeping juniper.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Thanks everyone I did decide to have my taxidermist do the wall pedestal. If there's anything I am unsure about it is the fakeish habitat stuff. Some looks awesome and some just takes away from the mount and could definitely see where it would collect dust. I'm going to do it without then if I find the perfect thing add it later.
If there was ever a critter that the wall pedestal makes the most sense it is a pronghorn. Just shows off a lot more of the pretty cape. Pronghorn shoulder mounts just seem like a lot of head and not enough body to go with it.
I will try to remember to post pics when it gets done. Expect a fairly fast turnaround time as it sounded like a pretty weak archery season for my taxidermist so I am pretty high on the list. Also doesn't take in more work than he can get done in a year so stays caught up season to season. Just hurry up and wait now!! Haven't fully decided but might have to go get it officially measured when my time is up. Not cause I care if I am in a book or not, mainly just to see a professional measure it and see how far I was off ha! Pretty sure after shrink I will be just under the threshold anyways.

The wall pedestals are sweet...
I agree! The traditional shoulder mounts can tend to all look the same, and I think that is why taxidermists and taxidermist supply houses are now making a wide variety of different poses.

I have several wall pedestal mounts and I very much like each of them:

My New Zealand Red Stag
6xff8u4l.jpg

My South African Steenbok,
Ah6fDpnl.jpg

My South African Klipspringer
drDuj7nl.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members