Caribou Gear Tarp

Panfish bonanza

Brittany Chukarman

Really good charter yesterday. Found a big school of fish in open water. Water depth was 50' and the fish were from 22' to 45'. Perch, crappie and bluegill all in the same school. Dropped the anchor once and stayed there for the whole trip. Started fishing at 9:00 and came in at 1:00. Had them filleted and the fish house cleaned up and drained by 4:00. IMGP0173.JPG

That is the kind of fishing trip I could be completely on board with! Looks like it was a ton of fun. How is the fishing up there the last week of May through June?

That is the kind of fishing trip I could be completely on board with! Looks like it was a ton of fun. How is the fishing up there the last week of May through June?
In recent years the best fishing has been from July through the Fall. Water fluctuations in the Spring have really hurt the May crappie fishing. We still catch crappie and smallmouth in May but it's been a lot of fishing for a little action.

So July/August is still good despite the heat?
In July the crappie have recovered from the stress of trying to spawn with unstable water conditions and are schooling up and feeding. Around mid-August the bluegill school up and it's a good time for a mixed catch with mostly bluegill. That holds up through September then in October we'll start catching more crappie than bluegill and the perch start showing.

Once you get the hang of an electric knife it's pretty easy but time consuming with a catch that big. From start to clean up with that catch was about 2.5 hours.

Once you get the hang of an electric knife it's pretty easy but time consuming with a catch that big. From start to clean up with that catch was about 2.5 hours.
Ya that would make it easier. That perch skin is tough. Do you fillet then debone or leave the ribs on the carcass. A couple years ago when I was in a perch area that’s how I started doing mine

It is tough, coarse skin. The parties that like to scale their fish don't like perch. I scoop out the rib cage with the electric then do the final trimming and cutting out of the pin bones with a hand knife.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back