Pan Fried Taters

WyoDoug

This is how I do my taters hunting and fishing except I do not use sugar. Don't think you need it myself but some love that sugar in their cooking. I also do not put them in the freezer. I put the whole potatoes in a tub of ice water to cool off prior to slicing.

Thanks for posting!

At my whitetail hunting spot, I stay in the basement of the landowner. He is an older guy and only knows how to cook about three things and they are all done in a cast iron skillet. One or two times per season I will get back to the house and he will call me up for dinner and he always makes loose meat (sloppy joes) in one skillet and fried potatoes in the other. Fried potatoes in cast iron make me think of hunting deer more than just about any other food.

That is what I take in my footlocker of "hunting cooking utensils" is cast iron. Even got a cast iron dutch oven that works beautifully in making stew.

My grandma used to make fried taters for my grandpa everyday. He ate steak and fried potatoes, smoked a pack a day on a slow day and lived to be 82. After my grandma passed he would complain about not being able to fry potatoes like my grandma did because she did not teach anyone. My mom, from watching my grandma fry them, taught herself to fry them in the same deep cast iron skillet my grandma used. Grandpa always said they were just like grandmas. I am sure my grandma used lard to fry the potatoes, but did not add sugar. Now I need to fry me some taters. I like to have fried fish with mine!

A little trick to those that want a sweeter tasting fried taters, store the taters in the refrigerator. The starch begins to break down into sugars and carbs when you do that and get a natural sweet taste without added sugar. Takes about a week to get the sweet taste in the taters.

My Granny made the best country fries ever & my big brother and I used to count them to make sure he nor I gained disproportionate servings. Our Granny used sugar in everything...her seared yellow squash and onions was worth fistfighting over.

Reactions: JEL
My friend and I spent a fall semester in California where we played football. Being somewhat homesick and in the middle of hunting season back home (Idaho), we figured we needed a camp meal. So we did the best a couple of recent 18 year olds could do and made some hamburgers and sliced some potatoes and onions up for frying. We turned on Jeremiah Johnson and ate a meal that made home and hunting camp not seem so far away.

Back