Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Paging resident tree choppers - advice needed

I have cut trees that got hung up by starting at the section touching the ground and cut a 45 degree angle cut top to bottom angling away towards the top of the tree. This will allow the hung up portion to keep dropping towards the ground while you continue to cut 45 degree angles every so often until you get the entire tree on the ground. Your chainsaw will not get hung up this way. If you cut perpendicular to the tree your saw will get bound up. Best of luck and be careful.

I’m not an expert, but this was how I seen professionals do I, which I am not

Stihl dealers are closed and I need this passable today = new saw, 20" bar.

Bought a shim while I was there

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_104329.jpg
    IMG_20230305_104329.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I probably don’t understand how critical that bolt is, but why not just try to straighten it? Secure it in a vice. Use a small box end wrench to bend it back. Run a nut down it to clean up the threads and see if it works. If not, you are right back where you started. If so, return the new saw and pick up a new bolt later.

I probably don’t understand how critical that bolt is, but why not just try to straighten it? Secure it in a vice. Use a small box end wrench to bend it back. Run a nut down it to clean up the threads and see if it works. If not, you are right back where you started. If so, return the new saw and pick up a new bolt later.
I'll probably try that as, like you said, I have nothing to lose if i make it any worse.
The saw that screws' for is only a 14" bar. A bigger saw was needed anyway and will see some use around the house

That's really a pretty easy log to deal with. Start at lowest point of main horizontal log, cut about 6"-8" into it from top side (quit if it starts to pinch), then cut through from the underside going up letting the remaining log drop and settle to the ground. Keep repeating the process.

As the log drops the bottom side will open up, top side will pinch shut.

That's really a pretty easy log to deal with. Start at lowest point of main horizontal log, cut about 6"-8" into it from top side (quit if it starts to pinch), then cut through from the underside going up letting the remaining log drop and settle to the ground. Keep repeating the process.

As the log drops the bottom side will open up, top side will pinch shut.
this is how you do it, hard part is to make the top cut without pinching your chainsaw bar

I agree with much of the advice given. I’d highly recommend anyone who is going to be spending much time with a chainsaw without any training pick up this book: To Fell a Tree A Complete Guide to Tree Felling and Woodcutting Methods https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615338798?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_1RW0P5HWHH1RBXY3R978

This is a snapshot that applies to starting from the ground until the top is no longer supported by the ground. Just be careful about which way it may move laterally if the twisting forces from trunk aren’t significantly less than the downward force from the weigh of the top.
466481C7-8205-4C50-A272-2599ABB9EB21.jpeg

This is my in-laws place, we're living here temporarily. He came out to help today and we wound up doing none of the ideas above.

Put a log underneath near the front and chopped the tip. Dragged it over with the truck then back the way it sits in the photos attached.

We are honestly at a much more dangerous point than before.

Going to wrap a long rope around the top and tug with the truck, hoping it'll come down

Attachments

• 20230305_131401.jpg
    20230305_131401.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230305_131519.jpg
    20230305_131519.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 19
This is my in-laws place, we're living here temporarily. He came out to help today and we wound up doing none of the ideas above.

Put a log underneath near the front and chopped the tip. Dragged it over with the truck then back the way it sits in the photos attached.

We are honestly at a much more dangerous point than before.

Going to wrap a long rope around the top and tug with the truck, hoping it'll come down

At this point I would put a face cut in towards the road and then back cut slowly. Clear everything around your feet and cut the back cut slow. As soon as it starts to move come down the road towards where you took the picture from. The weight and tension should fell it into the road. As you’re doing your back cut aim for the peak of the face cut or just slightly higher. If it does not fall all the way after first movement cut a little more. When you bail just leave the saw there. Don’t increase the risk by bailing with a chansaw in hand.

Attachments

• E55B115F-78F1-4FC0-A634-334D89C6DB99.jpeg
    E55B115F-78F1-4FC0-A634-334D89C6DB99.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back