Paging MT Antelope Gurus

rmyoung1

So here's my situation: My cousin back East is a single mom who, despite some odds stacked against her, has raised three great kids. Her oldest is a sophomore in HS, and I plan to take him antelope hunting in Montana in 2022. The original plan was Wyoming, where I had built up a couple of points for him, but some plans have changed. I am now looking at splitting my 6 MT antelope points with him. I've hunted in Region 7 before, but we don't have enough points to give me much confidence in our ability to draw. Same problem for the new antelope HD 322 where I've also hunted. So... MT antelope gurus... Where should I take the kid? We don't care at all about trophy potential. I honestly just want this boy to have a good time, look over some antelope, and hopefully take some meat home with him on the plane.

I've been looking at some of the HDs in Region 6 (600, 650, 670, 690) and some of the HDs in Region 3 where I think we'd have a shot at some tags (360, 310, and the new 340).

Anyone with some strong opinions they'd like to share with me? My inbox is waiting for your PM if you'd like to go that route. Thank you!

Not sure what the draw odds are like anymore, but you could always check some of the region 5 HDs right around Big Timber or Harlowton as well. I killed my first antelope in that area and at the time (8ish years ago?) drew a rifle tag with no points. I have archery hunted it with the 900 tag as well. Most ranchers are welcoming enough that the access isn't too bad.

Just my two cents, but maybe skip the chaos of opening weekend so you two can actually enjoy the hunt and not feel like you're the ones being hunted. Hunters lose their ethics and commonsense faster for Antelope opener than anything else I've been witness to.

If you dont think you can draw 700 I wouldnt bother trying in R3..odds are all worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back