Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Packs and poles

old man

Tenzing packs was on someone's good pack list so I checked them out . like the tz 500 and seems to be a little cheaper than some of the other packs so would like some input on them. also any suggestions on trekking poles other than leki?

I don't see the TZ 500 on their website. Most of their packs go by cubic inches and 500 would be a small fanny pack. Are you looking at the 1500 or the 5000?

I have a Tenzing fanny pack. I like it alot. I use it for treestand whitetail and turkey seasons. The 2200 has been a popular pack for a long time.

With more time, I've found that their packs are over-priced in my opinion. Lots of great stuff out there depending on what you plan on using the pack for.

Sorry, I am looking at the 5or 6000. the 6000 I can get for$ 349. compared to blacks creek 4800 for $499 or Mystery ranch 5000 ci. for $490. I wouldn't call the Tenzing over priced would you?

For trekking poles, go with Black Diamond w/ flock locks or any brand with a positive lock. The twist lock type will slip over time.

A 5000/6000 ci. pack is designed for week long trips or late season weekend trips.Thats a big pack. The Mystery Ranch is a good pack, albeit heavy. The Crewcab that you priced is not comparable to the others. The MR Crew cab is a 1900 ci pack with an expansion area and weighs almost 8 pounds as a large daypack. I just bought the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 for $450. It weighs just over 5lbs. and if you count the expansion area it is actually a 7500 pack. The Exo Mountain gear 3500 (stores closer to 5000) weights just under 5lbs and costs $500. and with the expansion area is over 5000. I think both of these and the Mystery Ranch are superior packs to the Tenzing. And yes, I do think they are overpriced.

Tenzing doesn't publish the weights on their packs. I was able to find the weight of the CF13 which uses their "lightweight" frame and that pack weighs over 6.5 pounds with nothing in it. I have to believe the 5/6000 weight even more, but there is no way to know unless someone has the numbers somewhere.

I guess I would consider what you want the pack to do. If you want a pack for spike camping in the backcountry you will want one of the larger packs. Even for a weekend trip, 3000ci pack would be needed if you're hunting. For longer trips, the 5000+ ci packs come in. If you're looking for a larger daypack that has the ability to pack meat out, there are still some great options. If oyu're really judt looking for a pack for meat, I would check out one of the pack frames thats made just for that. They can be bought new for under $300.

Packs and Poles

Seek Outside Unaweep Pack. Super light, durable, and can pack a ton of meat.

Locus Gear CP3 Carbon Poles, Flip lock, light weight and really strong

Thanks Epfd, i was just looking at the kuiu and would like to get the ultra, but not enough pockets so would probably go with the Icon pro myself. what is your first impression of it? yes i want it for spike camp elk hunting, getting old and want to go as light possible.

Here's a vote for the ultra, mostly used the 1800 great daypack, plenty of pockets for me. And easily carries a quarter between frame and bag. I have the Bigger bag but haven't used it much. Good value.

I love my Kuiu Icon Pro so far. I got it adjusted for me and I've played around with it a little bit. I will be taking it on a week trip in Wyoming at the end of this week.

I really liked the idea of the Ultra packs and their ultralight idea, but several people who have used them discussed how some of the weight savings also came from the suspension area (shoulder straps and waist belt). In other words, less padding. That was a bit of a deciding factor with me. The frame is the same on both lines, so my plan is to purchase the Ultra 1800 bag down the road and use it as a daypack on the same frame with the better suspension.

Don't discount the used packs. There are a few used packs on the website here and more listed on other websites.

For trekking poles, go with Black Diamond w/ flock locks or any brand with a positive lock. The twist lock type will slip over time.

No doubt true. But my REI twostblock poles are 10+ years in and when i took them in complaining of slippage the counter clerk unscrewed completely and wiped them down. No more slip. Now i clean them every year or two and no problems.

Back