Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Packing boned out meat w/ load shelf

Jwill

I normally just throw game bags into my pack for the hike out, but have a new pack for this season (MR Pintler). I know it's not rocket science, but looking for tips and examples for packing boned out meat on the load shelf. Are you just using the Caribou style boned out bags on the shelf, throwing the game bags in a separate dry bag, etc.? Thanks!

For the pack out, I put the meat in a heavy black contractor trash bag and fold it down nicely such that the top is still open to allow for at least a bit of breathing while protecting my pack from getting absorbed in blood.

I carry the game bags in the mesh sack they come with. For packing, try and make an oblong bundle instead of a round blob. Usually I can get the compression straps tight enough to hold it like that, but I carry some parachute cord just in case. Cinch tight and go. No trash bags or dry sacks needed.

I use the SG load cells, IMHO there are worth every penny. They are the correct "shape" for meatselves, and provide the necessary structure for loading a ton of boned out meat. You can easily get an entire boned out mule deer in one bag, and without it exploding out the side around your straps.

They are breathable and keep you from getting quite as bloody.

That's an entire boned out cow caribou
1596146173487.png

Last edited:
I use the SG load cells, IMHO there are worth every penny. They are the correct "shape" for meatselves, and provide the necessary structure for loading a ton of boned out meat. You can easily get an entire boned out mule deer in one bag, and without it exploding out the side around your straps.

I’ve been eyeing these. I hate having boned out meat shift to the bottom of my load shelf or spill out the sides.

That's an entire boned out cow caribou
View attachment 148715
Not familiar with SG load cells. Who sells them?

Just use the game bags, an extra dry sack or stuff sack will hold in to much heat IMO.

+1. I've never had any issue just putting the boned out meat in a caribou, tag, or black ovis game bag and strapping it in the meat shelf. Not sure why you would need another bag to put it in. Never had an issue with boned out hind quarters, back straps, loose meat or anything. Just get it set on there somewhat evenly and strap it down and it doesn't move.

nathan_m_packout.jpg

+1. I've never had any issue just putting the boned out meat in a caribou, tag, or black ovis game bag and strapping it in the meat shelf. Not sure why you would need another bag to put it in. Never had an issue with boned out hind quarters, back straps, loose meat or anything. Just get it set on there somewhat evenly and strap it down and it doesn't move.

View attachment 148716

I like to be strategic with my cuts in the field to make processing at home easier. I've had the back strap bag try to squirt out the side a couple times when I load several bags.

I only had one load cell at the time of this photo and put the bear hide in that, the quarters got a little squirrelly after a few miles.
1596147873682.png

View attachment 148716
I experienced the hell of a bloody pack on my trip to southeast Alaska. Wife and I both had kuiu icon pros and Caribou game bags. We hunted for 2 days and on the third evening we connected on our first Blacktail buck. The next morning we hiked out the buck 7 miles back down to our parked truck. Two days later bear hunting trying to fill our other tag, our packs began to smell and Then add a bear pack out. By the time we got to Ketchikan we couldn't fly with the bags and had to do a complete wash and then repack it wet for the fly home. Wasnt fun.

Boned out meat bags work very well for loose meat in the load sling. I built an extra set of straps and fed them through the frame on my pack to use to really cinch down the load and keep it in place. Then I can still use my regular straps to secure my pack bag and other items as needed.
Anyone try the Argali ultralight game bags?

I experienced the hell of a bloody pack on my trip to southeast Alaska. Wife and I both had kuiu icon pros and Caribou game bags. We hunted for 2 days and on the third evening we connected on our first Blacktail buck. The next morning we hiked out the buck 7 miles back down to our parked truck. Two days later bear hunting trying to fill our other tag, our packs began to smell and Then add a bear pack out. By the time we got to Ketchikan we couldn't fly with the bags and had to do a complete wash and then repack it wet for the fly home. Wasnt fun.

The Stone Glacier load shelf is made out of a different material than the pack bags. Almost a vinyl type material. It cleans off really easy. The part of the bag that attaches to the load cell is made out of the same material so even if it is bloody it doesn’t soak into the bag.

The Stone Glacier load shelf is made out of a different material than the pack bags. Almost a vinyl type material. It cleans off really easy. The part of the bag that attaches to the load cell is made out of the same material so even if it is bloody it doesn’t soak into the bag.
Yes, completely different system. I think the OP was looking at what to do if you have any general pack and need to haul meat in caribou, tag, etc style breathable game bags.

I personally like to let my meat hang in a year 4 to 6 hours before I debone it to let rigor set in. Not always possible though or practical. The haul out is often not a long time so putting that trash bag layer for the 1 to 4 hour haul out isn't that big of a deal. Like I stated, I do leave the top open to help it breathe some.

Yes, completely different system. I think the OP was looking at what to do if you have any general pack and need to haul meat in caribou, tag, etc style breathable game bags.

I personally like to let my meat hang in a year 4 to 6 hours before I debone it to let rigor set in. Not always possible though or practical. The haul out is often not a long time so putting that trash bag layer for the 1 to 4 hour haul out isn't that big of a deal. Like I stated, I do leave the top open to help it breathe some.
You could also use the trash bag as more of a liner/buffer between your frame and bag just to keep it cleaner. Line the load sling with the trash bag or 2 and then set the game bag in and cinch it down. This way it breathes also.

I use a good quaility game bag and then just tie it shut on the top. most of the time it fits nicely on shelf of the pack but I do bring a small role of cheap string and a few bungee cords in case it's wanting to sit weird....

View attachment 148716
Is there a certain/required order in which pieces you pack out first? Does it matter? Which piece(s) do you prefer to pack out first. Just thinking that if I get an elk this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back