Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pack out bags

Not to knock on locals bringing a product to market, but I guess they figured the waistbelt on modern backpacks is just for show. Love the way they load it.... "step underneath the load and cut the strings." I'd like to see the events that led up to that technique.

A good thing is that the bags would fold down into a small area. I'd consider something like that for horse packing, where you might have to walk the meat a small distance to get to the horses and you don't want to take up a bunch of space hauling a frame pack.

I used to have a canvas bag identical to those when I delivered news papers 20+ years ago. After reading the article, that's where they got that idea. That's a nice little idea for those who can't afford the nice backpacks.

Can't see me trading my pack for a set of those, but might be nice to have for hunts where I don't want to use the big pack. Like pronghorn that lead one a bit farther from you pack than you planned or whitetail.

Yeah, they might be nice to have on a hunt where you'd normally just use a fanny pack. I could see me putting a deer into something like that.

I saw that Wayne Carlton had these type bags on his website. His brand name of course. I would like to compare the weight distribution with a pack frame. Same concept as packing a mule or horse, you just have 2 legs instead of 4 to balance with. I would be interested in them if I could put my hands on them prior to buying. Anybody actually used these or same style?

I have the carlton bags and j ust used them on fri to haul out my sheep. They work quite well but are awful hard on your shoulders, they roll up real small and I carry them in my daypack..

My pack frame rides on my hips more than my shoulders. And a guy with one back surgery I don't think these would work for me. I just cringed when I saw the pictures in the paper thinking their vertebrae is taking the load. Most young bucks don't worry about that, but believe me it will catch up to you. I love the idea of thinking outside the box though...

If there was no such thing as a backpack these could be useful. Good for them though, hope they do well.

My pack frame rides on my hips more than my shoulders. And a guy with one back surgery I don't think these would work for me. I just cringed when I saw the pictures in the paper thinking their vertebrae is taking the load. Most young bucks don't worry about that, but believe me it will catch up to you. I love the idea of thinking outside the box though...

Yep. A properly adjusted backpack rides on your hips-not your shoulders. I always laugh when I see someone hauling out elk quarters instead of boned out meat. Some people just like misery! Let me think:confused:-haul out trash that your will pitch anyway,NOT!

Yep. A properly adjusted backpack rides on your hips-not your shoulders. I always laugh when I see someone hauling out elk quarters instead of boned out meat. Some people just like misery! Let me think:confused:-haul out trash that your will pitch anyway,NOT!

I usually only bone an elk out if i am a ways from the truck. Just this weekend my girlfriend shot a bull about a mile from the truck down an easy trail so I didn't feel like taking the extra time to bone it out. I would still rather use my pack because of the reason stated above though

I'm with Baerman. Totally reminds me of my old canvas newspaper bag, back in the day when kids delivered newspapers. I used to load the thing up on Sundays. Still have anxiety dreams about that damned paper route.

Can't imagine the stress that puts on a guys back and shoulders. Also have fun not seeing where you're stepping with that elk quarter in front of you.

I can see my dad thinking this is the best thing since sliced bread and telling me my stone glacier is garbage compared to that. Haha

..my buddy still laughs at my packs I use hunting and just totes full game bags across his shoulders hanging....I laugh at all the extra trips he takes and the complaints about his back and shoulders later.
I have used packpacks since the 60's with waist belts that carry the load,not your shoulders.

Some parts of Alaska require that meat comes out of the field on the bone.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back