Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pack Frame Suggestions

Senah

My husband and I do almost all of our hunting together - upland, waterfowl, small game, and big game (rifle). We are planning to move beyond deer and do back country elk this year, which means that we will both be packing out meat over large distances. In the past I've been able to modify all my gear (designed with men in mind) and make it work, however this year I need a great pack frame that will do some hard work if we want to make it out with both of us hauling in 2 trips (which is the goal).

So, my question is if any of you hunt with women or are women and have found that any of the pack frames on the market have worked better or worse for this purpose. Ideally they would be convertible for gear and then hauling meat. We have had the Kelty Cache hunter but it wasn't great for getting our deer hauled out and we had to modify the straps to make them bigger. Now we are looking at the Optics systems and Stone Glacier packs.

The general problem is that I have longer legs but a shorter torso and smaller shoulders than my husband, and I guess than men in general. In terms of what size pack or design might work, I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs.

I know it's a shot in the dark, but any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated, especially if there are any other women hunters on HT or men who hunt with women and have dealt with this issue. We've been training hard for elk season but now it's time to really start the final push with weighted packs, and I need to make a choice about what I'll use this fall. Thank you in advance.

I would seriously look at the Kuiu pack systems. I am 5'7" and my buddy is 5'4" we both purchased the Icon Pro 1850 full kits for a day pack and an Ultra 6000 bag for packing in our stuff. The things I like about the KUIU system is you can you any of there bags on either the Icon Pro series or the Ultra series so there is a lot of versatility. They also have a ton of adjustment for torso length. They sell there frame in 2 sizes regular or tall. I we both go the regular frame. So far I have packed loads of 80lbs with no problem. Go to their website or Youtube and check them out. I researched pack for 2 years and am happy so far with the decision to by KUIU.

Thanks for the feedback. These two systems look great in terms of adjustability and neither are ones we were aware of.

Those evolutions look great and really versatile for hike in and for packing out.

The Kuiu's also look interesting. One question though - it looks like the bags on those units are not detachable. If that's the case, how do you deal with cleaning and the issues with putting meat/blood in the bag and then using it for other purposes (i.e. packing in gear and then packing it back out after you get your animal out)?

I would check out stone glacier and mystery ranch as well if you budget allows. Have owned and used both and can say the the krux frame (SG) and NICE frame (mr) are both incredibly adjustable and comfortable for a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Would have a hard time not seeing you happy with either one of these

Thanks for the feedback. These two systems look great in terms of adjustability and neither are ones we were aware of.

Those evolutions look great and really versatile for hike in and for packing out.

The Kuiu's also look interesting. One question though - it looks like the bags on those units are not detachable. If that's the case, how do you deal with cleaning and the issues with putting meat/blood in the bag and then using it for other purposes (i.e. packing in gear and then packing it back out after you get your animal out)?

The kuiu bags are detachable and you can expand the straps to pack meat between the frame and the bag. Watch the videos on YouTube.

BEST Pack

Here is definitely the best kind of pack,,,,half ass, half horse,,,,maybe not for everyone !!!

Attachments

• Calif X12 3024 109.jpg
    Calif X12 3024 109.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 236
I'm not sure if it is the issue but nobody has brought it up so I'll mention it. A lot of pack comfort is how you load it. It should be very close to your body. I like the weight mostly above the center of my back.

If you just throw the meat in the bag or let it sit on the shelf it will be very uncomfortable and feel twice as heavy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back