PA deer season begins!

Crossbows are legal for anyone with an archery license in Pa. One of the reason that there is not as many rifle hunters or shots fired on opening day of rifle in my area is that a lot of them are already tagged out. The local butcher shops were not taking anymore deer by Sunday evening of rifle season. Just like our state workers, they had too much work and underpaid. Most of the deer were females. I don’t like 2 weeks of doe season running concurrently with buck. I’d prefer to go back to 2 days of doe after the buck season but that isn’t happening.

I agree they should go back to the old format of 2 days of doe, but like you said “it’ll never happen ”

It’s been a tough late season for a doe for me. It’s rained about every day I could go. Still hunted some saw a glimpse of 3 does. Heading back to camp this weekend with a small crew. See how we do may have some snow for Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Well I was able to finally punch my last tag here in PA. Nice big doe. Shot her with my new flintlock and dropped her about 50 yards.

Attachments

• FAE9471F-0AC0-4C71-854D-018FC6B738E8.jpeg
    FAE9471F-0AC0-4C71-854D-018FC6B738E8.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
I got 2 nice doe on the Weds after opening day. Sat Saturday, Sunday Monday and just saw a 4 pointer on Opening morning at 9:15. I looked at that buck and said to him "If bullets weren't $3 a piece I'd shoot your ass!" He wasn't a legal buck, but I just wanted to scare his ass. He laughed at me, )#$(*))@.

Nothing the rest of Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Tough hunting. Took Tues off to rest, and figured I'd better go all the way to the top of the hill. A strenuous hike at 67. So Weds, 23 degrees, hike to the top where a huge meadow is, and sat 100' in the woods over looking the huge hill I walked up. 9:15 I see 4 big does to my right at the edge of the meadow, POW! Meat on the board. 115 yard shot in the neck to save meat. Haul her down the hill, gut her down there, and leave her for later about 100 yards from the truck. Figure this is a good spot, I'm going back up cause it's still early. Get back to the spot around noon, sit and eat my sammich, finish up, and 5 mins later, I see one down the hill 100 or so yards. I wait for an opening in the trees, she looks up at me!! POW! #2 is on the board. 113 yard shot, and unfortunately too much brush for a neck shot. Probably should have aimed for the head. I got them all back in the truck and headed back to the motel at 4:30pm. What a job. Do you know how hard it is to get 2 150lb doe in the back of a 2500HD alone?? I saw a Redneck solution on Youtube that really worked. I hadn't hunted last year, so I was in desperate need of meat.

Last edited:
Great job everyone who had success I was able to hunt 2F this past season with no luck but it was still alot of fun.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back