Owning a saltwater boat in SE Alaska?

Paul in Idaho

It seems the summer heat has baked my brain enough I'm having crazy thoughts about buying a boat and spending summers on it in southeast Alaska. It's not financially possible right now, but I want to start finding out what the total cost of this idea might be.

If any of you have owned a boat for saltwater fishing and could share insight on all the expenses involved, that would be helpful.

So far I can think of insurance, fuel, planned maintenance, repairs, mooring/slip fees, and off-season storage. Are there other things I need to be aware of?

1660783090758.png

I can't help but I love it. I have a friend that is a semi-retired commercial fisherman based out of Sitka. He still has his black cod permit and just left to fill it. When he gets back I'll ask him your questions or hook you up with him.

Planning to live on it? My family bought a crappy Grand Banks trawler when I was a kid. It was a constant project. Not something you can just pull out of storage and use seasonally. Lots of great memories on it though. You'll find ways to spend money that you never thought possible before.

If you or any of your guests or family get seasick, these are pretty slick. I’ve been on some big sport fishing boats that had these and they are pretty amazing.

imagine selling your house and being 3 beers deep on this blaring southern cross and slurring your speech as you sing along 😍

Thanks for your replies. I won't be looking for a sailboat. Basically I'm looking for a floating RV. Nothing fancy, but clean and reliable. One with kitchen and bathroom facilities and a place to sleep. Living on a boat seasonally is one option, but I know it could end up being more expensive and less convenient than alternative arrangements.

I hadn't heard of the Seakeeper stabilizers before, could be helpful.

Im looking forward to the replies in this thread. This would be my dream come true and hopefully in a short 25 years when I can retire, I can try something like this for a seasonal home.

There was a pretty decent article in the Wall Street Journal back in 20 or 21 that went into the pros/cons about boat life. They interviewed retirees and families who do the loop. Basically they can travel down the Mississippi then over to Florida and up the east coast(via intracoastal canal), then back through the Great Lakes, or you could jump on the Ohio River and link back up with the Miss. If I can dig it up, I will paste up the link.

There are websites devoted to "live aboard" life in SE AK. I've spent far too much time on them. I have not seen one that breaks down the expenses of doing it.

My parents had a 44’ houseboat on the Mississippi River for several years they’d spend a few nights on each week in the summer. Many of the boats in their slip never left. The people on the other boats would just sit in the dock and do their thing. I always figured it was because they could not drive a big boat and could not afford the gas to put in it. Most of them were arrogant assholes who if they fell overboard I probably would have hesitated to throw a line to.

If you get a boat you can pull in and out yourself (30-32 foot is probably the max with a pickup truck) will save you quite a bit. If I remember correctly the marina basically charged you for three things in/out with a big boat lift, winter storage, and summer docking. It was around 5k annually for all of that. Plus gas, maintenance, etc.

Be careful on boats that are older, but rebuilt, making sure they use marine grade equipment in everything. That will be even more important in the salt.

Look for a boat in the lower 48 and move it up there. I think you will get a better newer boat for the same price as you could get one in SE.

Depending on what kind of engines you have you don’t necessarily need a boat mechanic to work on it. My parents had twin 351 ford engines. All auto mechanics can work on those, finding one that is willing might be different.

My friend just had a live aboard boat built in Louisville Kentucky with the plan to live on it May-October on the river. He’s a USCG licensed captain and does tours on the Mississippi. When he brought the boat down the Ohio and back up the Mississippi it was his first time below St. Louis on the river. He says it will be his last too.

Anyways, The boat has 2 John Deere Diesel engines in it. He had an issue with one engine and the nearest John Deere marine mechanic was several hours away and couldn’t get to it for a while and wanted several hundred bucks just to look at the engine. On a whim my friends wife suggested to call the local John Deere implement and he talked to a mechanic. The mechanic agreed to come out after hours, off the books and look at the engine, having never worked on a marine engine he didn’t make any promises. When they opened the engine compartment up the mechanic recognized the engine right away. It was the same ones they use in some John Deere combines with a few extra parts. After the mechanic saw that he figured he knew the problem. The next evening he came back with the part and had the engine running again. The part ended up being less than $100 bucks and the mechanic just asked for a case of Busch light.

I'm up in Sitka right now for my first time fishing for salmon and halibut. Walking out on the dock, the old saying about if it fff's came to mind. Boats cost a lot of money. Renting for a couple days is fine with me!
20220816_154554.jpg
Yesterday poured rain all day and the fishing was tough. We paid our dues and were rewarded with an absolute beautiful day today. Heading out this morning.
20220818_053356.jpg
Back at the dock this afternoon!
20220818_153706.jpg
Loved visiting here, but would easily say I could never live here.

Went out on a boat in south Florida, long time ago. Owned by a plumbing contractor from New York. Side business with benefit.

imagine selling your house and being 3 beers deep on this blaring southern cross and slurring your speech as you sing along 😍

Mr. Crosby 1. This is a Dennys 2. No one believes you “just had three beers”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back