Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Outfitters that lease ranches

about three years ago I got phone call from a guy that was asking to lease a piece of property I own. I rarely hunt it at all. I told him he was welcome to hunt without leasing it. Just hunt. He asked if he could post it to keep other people off it. He couldnt believe that I said no.
I have my doubts that the North American Model will.

We already have one foot in the grave and we are digging faster and harder. Greed and the desire for exclusivity will huntings down fall.

Last edited:
I imagine that a lot of outfitters lease ranches that allow the extra access to landlocked public lands also making the hunt able land even more for the money. Even at $1000 per animal I bet the gratuity paid by a lot of the clients cover that. I was just curious on how outfitters could make money off their hunts when leasing the thousands of acres they do.

Imagine what the galt ranch @ 147,000 acres makes
I mean on the one hand I’m like, and people wonder why a guided private landowner elk hunt costs north of 6k on the other hand I'm like holy smokes is that a steal. I know lots of folks who are making 20k-30k airbandbing the vacation homes for a couple months a year.

Also not sure what taxes are like but I can’t imagine that 50k does much more than even out a bit of the cash flow until the cows get sold...maybe covers some taxes.

Also a 5,700 acre ranch in the Powder or Jonah (WY) that signs an OG lease is going to get north of 8million for a bonus payment... at that point who gives a crap about a deer/elk lease.

Last edited:
We have been aporoached several times by guides and outfitters wanting to lease our ranch, and we always meet them at the door and tell them, sorry but we're not interested. don't need the money or the headaches

I mean on the one hand I’m like, and people wonder why a guided private landowner elk hunt costs north of 6k on the other hand I'm like holy smokes is that a steal. I know lots of folks who are making 20k-30k airbandbing the vacation homes for a couple months a year.

Also not sure what taxes are like but I can’t imagine that 50k does much more than even out a bit of the cash flow until the cows get sold...maybe covers some taxes.

Also a 5,700 acre ranch in the Powder or Jonah (WY) that signs an OG lease is going to get north of 8million for a bonus payment... at that point who gives a crap about a deer/elk lease.
The hunting lease payment is a big part of many ranchers net income. Cattle prices are down 40 to near 50 percent from a few years ago while the cost of owning cattle has increased. While you can sell a truck load of steer caves for around 90,000 you are going to have close to that in expenses. A hunting lease is easy money with few monetarily expenses. I know ranchers that a 20,000 dollar hunting lease would nearly double there net income on tough years.

Last edited:
We have been aporoached several times by guides and outfitters wanting to lease our ranch, and we always meet them at the door and tell them, sorry but we're not interested. don't need the money or the headaches
Same here. If I was to lease it would be to a group of hunters. I could use the money but putting up with an outfitter that thinks he owns the place would not end well.

about three years ago I got phone call from a guy that was asking to lease a piece of property I own. I rarely hunt it at all. I told him he was welcome to hunt without leasing it. Just hunt. He asked if he could post it to keep other people off it. He couldnt believe that I said no.

We already have one foot in the grave and we are digging faster and harder. Greed and the desire for exclusivity will huntings down fall.

Well said.

I know ranchers that a 20,000 dollar hunting lease would nearly double there net income on tough years.

I think at the end of the day that is what it really comes down to.

If the state or federal gov't could compete with the amount an outfitter is willing to pay that would open up huge swaths of land for everyone.... But that has about a billion things working against that happening.

Same here. If I was to lease it would be to a group of hunters. I could use the money but putting up with an outfitter that thinks he owns the place would not end well.
We've thought about selling it, my father in law has, a, semi large (1077 acres) ranch outside Buffalo wyoming and my wife would like to be closer to him as he is, pushing 70+ yrS old and wants, us to move back and take it over and be able to spend quality time with us while he still can

I'm truely not sure why We are even discussing it as my wife knows, when it comes to her I'd do anything for her she truly Is my world

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back